Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some advice on a meat slicer I found

Options
ChillyWillis
ChillyWillis Posts: 893
edited March 2016 in Off Topic
i went on Craigslist today and found an antique Hobart model 411 meat slicer for $300. I know that Hobarts are generally very good slicers but I was looking for a little more info. Is this a good price for the unit? Will it serve me better than some of the home versions available? I've been getting much more into charcuterie lately so I will definitely be giving whatever slicer I end up getting quite the workout. 

It seems like a good price to me but I'm worried about spending $300 to get an old hunk of junk I spend more time fixing than slicing with. 

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    How much fixing up does it require? Sounds like a good price, but we have nobidea what condition it is in
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The 411's are pretty good slicers. A word of caution though, parts are scarce and expensive when you find them. Most of the parts on the 411 are NOT interchangeable with the 410 parts that are much less scarce. If the unit runs and is in good shape, I wouldn't be scared to buy it. However if it needs rebuilt, I would price out the parts before I bought it. Your 300.00 dollar investment could turn into three times that amount real quick depending on what all is wrong with it.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    That was what I'm worried about. The seller didn't put a photo up with it, but listed it in good condition. I think I'll go over and check it out, and if it's missing pieces or the motor sound off ill take a pass. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That was what I'm worried about. The seller didn't put a photo up with it, but listed it in good condition. I think I'll go over and check it out, and if it's missing pieces or the motor sound off ill take a pass. 
    Take something to slice, make sure it slices even, and thin.  Often times the slicer blades are toast from oversharpening operator error.  I bought a cheap chub of bolgna, gave it to the dogs when we were finished.  Taking some pharmacy grade mineral oil wouldn't hurt either for lubrication.  DO NOT USE PAM. 

Along with motor sound, make sure all parts are there, carriage assembly slides easily, indexing knob adjusts without difficulty, knife cover doesn't rub on knife, cord is intact, etc etc.  As mentioned, parts are expensive.  But if properly cared for and maintained, won't be an issue.  

Although a large footprint and heavy, I enjoy using my Hobart #512, was around $300, came with an extra knife..no sharpener.  Had my sharpening guy put a new edge on the knives for $20, some elbow grease cleaning, lubing with silicon spray, and food grade industrial silicon grease for the worm screw, and it works great.  Put it on a Craftsman engine cart for $90, and wheel it in and out when needed.  No lifting.  Tearing down and cleaning isn't bad at all.  Just have to be careful with the knife.  Have cut my hand with just a slight touch.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."