Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Dry-Ageing Adventure (Pic Heavy)

Options
johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
edited March 2016 in Beef
A month ago I grabbed a Prime whole ribeye from Costco and some Umai Dry bags.  

With much help from the internets, and some great feedback/support from Ron, @RRP.  I dry aged for the first time.

I didnt have a perfect seal because I have he wrong type of vacuum sealer, but since going commando is acceptable, trudged on.

30 days later I took this out of the fridge.

As as you can see, I cut off one steak with the rind.  I then trimmed the rind from the rest of the meat and cut the rest of my steaks.  

Thanks again @rrp for the support.  @Darby_Crenshaw a couple of your rants helped me out as well.

I look forward to cooking these guys up soon.
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Looks like a WINNER to me! Love the marbling in that meat. Those steaks will make a grown man cry!
    P S  Thanks for the compliment.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Awesome!! Congrats on the outcome! Can't wait to pull the trigger on my first attempt.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    Looks like a WINNER to me! 
    Hey, that's my line ;)

@johnnyp
    Looks like a winner to me my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    Been there... Done that....  Doing it again!Great job!  
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I will be trying this fer the 1st time REALLY SOON!!!!!  Very curious!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Only one untrimmed? That must be for the man of the house, and the rest for the ladies' auxiliary or church choir?

(i jest. I jest) 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    It took me a few attempts get the nerve to leave the rind on, but now I don't trim. For me, I've found that 35 days is perfect.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    If you like beef jerky, that's all the rind is. Perfectly safe. And it softens and crisps when cooking. I always advise (implore) people to try it at least once.

gotta remember that we aren't trying to make something it is like a fresh steak. We are trying to make it different. Like blue cheese is different than a slice of american. It's *supposed* to be that way, and it's all edible. 

Worth a shot
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• johnnyp
    Options
    @RRP, @Darby_Crenshaw or anyone else who cares to answer.

I used SV to cook one last night. Then finished in a cast iron pan on the stove.

ill be cooking another round on the Egg soon and will probably reverse sear.  I'm aware that they will cook faster because of less water content, but I'm curious about how much faster? Any pitfalls I should avoid?
  • RRP
    Options
    Not satisfied with your results? Why? They look fantastic to me! Do you have a Thermapen? If not why not? LOL. My point is cook to temperature not to time.
  • johnnyp
    Options
    RRP said:
    Not satisfied with your results? Why? They look fantastic to me! Do you have a Thermapen? If not why not? LOL. My point is cook to temperature not to time.
    Very satisfied with the SV and sear results.  

In in regards to cooking to temp not time, I agree, that's the plan.  I was simply curious if the accelerated cooking time was as simple as saying "it will cook approximately 25% faster".  If it's more of an inexact science, so be it.  I'll just monitor closely.   
  • RRP
    Options
    Since I prefer medium rare then I'd say 50% faster as a rule of thumb.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    Do you put any kind of rub on the meat or just simply in a vacuum bag and put it in the fridge?

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• johnnyp
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    Do you put any kind of rub on the meat or just simply in a vacuum bag and put it in the fridge?
    No rub.  And actually, no vacuum bag (at least not in the tradional sense).  What I used was a bag that is "breathable" from Umai Dry, thus
    allowing the moisture to escape.  

Next time, I'll probably just skip the bag and go commando.  It's not really needed, but helped me mentally clear the sanitation hurdle for the first go round. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Bags are for groceries and trash.  The experiment @DoubleEgger and I have going is testing that variable.  Mine of course is naked.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Bags are for groceries and trash.  The experiment @DoubleEgger and I have going is testing that variable.  Mine of course is naked.

Naked and Afraid
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I ain't askeered!
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Be afraid, Be very afraid.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited August 2016
    Options
    bags are great for when you say "hey, a bunch of guys on the forum are leaving unwrapped meat in their fridge for months.  can i do it too?"

she says "why?"  and you say "i don't know.  but can I?"

then she pulls the wife card: "no, you may not put that hunk of beef unwrapped in in my fridge, it will go bad".

here's where the genius of the bags kick in.

then you say "but i can put it in an expensive bag that requires a special vacuum sealer, will that make you happy?"

then she'll say "does that make it any safer?"

and you'll pause.  scratch your head (or belly, or adze) and say "i have no idea, but it's a bag.  that must make it safe, right?"

then she stares at you. makes that face. you shrug. you ask again with your eyes, sheepishly.

she says "well, if you use a bag i guess it is ok". but really, deep down, she has no clue or interest about what you are even talking about, she just doesn't want unwrapped meat in 'her' fridge.

and that's when you discover what the bag really does that going commando does not do. it placates the wife.

luckily, if you have a wife who trusts you, and you can explain what is happening and why you are doing it, you don't need to go through all that.

even better if you have a spare fridge.  wife doesn't even enter into the discussion. :)

best case scenario, you could be fishlessman, who doesn't have to run anything by anyone, and spends his free time fishing and drinking.  in my defense, i did not know that was an option

• RRP
    Options
    Just for the record for those people who do want to go the UMAi Dry bag route then actually a vacuum sealer is not needed. You press the excess air out and then using a straw or a piece of tubing you suck the air out which will create a sufficient vacuum and then you quickly close with a bread twisty.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    RRP said:
    Just for the record for those people who do want to go the UMAi Dry bag route then actually a vacuum sealer is not needed. You press the excess air out and then using a straw or a piece of tubing you suck the air out which will create a sufficient vacuum and then you quickly close with a bread twisty.
    That's exactly what I did. I'll never fumble with the food saver again. Too easy. Thanks for posting that tip a while back Ron. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    bags are great for when you say "hey, a bunch of guys on the forum are leaving unwrapped meat in their fridge for months.  can i do it too?"

she says "why?"  and you say "i don't know.  but can I?"

then she pulls the wife card: "no, you may not put that hunk of beef unwrapped in in my fridge, it will go bad".

here's where the genius of the bags kick in.

then you say "but i can put it in an expensive bag that requires a special vacuum sealer, will that make you happy?"

then she'll say "does that make it any safer?"

and you'll pause.  scratch your head (or belly, or adze) and say "i have no idea, but it's a bag.  that must make it safe, right?"

then she stares at you. makes that face. you shrug. you ask again with your eyes, sheepishly.

she says "well, if you use a bag i guess it is ok". but really, deep down, she has no clue or interest about what you are even talking about, she just doesn't want unwrapped meat in 'her' fridge.

and that's when you discover what the bag really does that going commando does not do. it placates the wife.

luckily, if you have a wife who trusts you, and you can explain what is happening and why you are doing it, you don't need to go through all that.

even better if you have a spare fridge.  wife doesn't even enter into the discussion. :)

best case scenario, you could be fishlessman, who doesn't have to run anything by anyone, and spends his free time fishing and drinking.  in my defense, i did not know that was an option

@Darby_Crenshaw you S.O.B.  Where the hell were you hiding in my kitchen?  There are no hiding spots?!?!

For the record, she trusts me, she just has no interest in cooking or how I get things to the plate, with that one exception of no uncovered meat for weeks in any fridge.  So I  appease her and put it in a bag which ironically she got me for x-mas last year.

if that is what it takes, I'll do it.....  The end result is worth it.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    RRP said:
    That's exactly what I did. I'll never fumble with the food saver again. Too easy. Thanks for posting that tip a while back Ron. 
    The condom movement... ;)
  • RRP
    edited August 2016
    Options
    bgebrent said:

whatever...bet a condom saved your *ss a time or two...unlike a breathable dry bag
  • bgebrent
    Options
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:

whatever...bet it saved your *ss a time or two!
    Ron my friend, you on this point are most accurate!  Except a time or 20 ;). I've moved along now brother  ;)
  • RRP
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:

Ron my friend, you on this point are most accurate!  Except a time or 20 ;). I've moved along now brother  ;)
    LOL - don't ask - don't tell
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:

Snip Snip, say no more, say no more...