Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and slow lamb shoulder

Options
Did half a lamb shoulder over the weekend, cooked at 230f for 4hours direct. However the lamb tasted quite smokey which the wife didn't like.
I left the egg about an hour before putting the lamb on to get a clean burn.  So my question is was it because the fat drips on to the coals and causes smoke, if so whats the answer .

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Never done a lamb shoulder. I have done rack of lamb were I seared it and then cooked it at low temp. I have also done reverse seared lamb chops. Both came out great. I'd try doing it indirect and then searing it at the end.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jbsmith
    Options
    but do you think the fat dripping onto the coals is what made the meat smokey ?

• Rambo
    Rambo Posts: 43
    Options
    I've done several indirect over a drip pan and never run into that. My wife isn't a fan of smoke on Lamb so I run clean coals. Were you cooking raised direct?
    I Love Animals. They Taste Great. 

Large Green Egg - Traeger Texas Pro - Weber kettle Grill for life.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Yeah. Lamb fat burning is no bueno

a other reason not to sear lamb racks, for example
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Egg_Specter
    Egg_Specter Posts: 20
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Lamb meat is fat by nature and therefore produces a lot of smoke due to drippings on hot coals. I can very well imagine that when you do ca. 4 hours direct, this smoke made your meat taste 'bad'.
  • jbsmith
    Options
    Whats raised direct ?

• Egg_Specter
    Egg_Specter Posts: 20
    edited February 2016
    Options
    'raised' means putting something in between of the firering and grill so that you bring the meat a bit further away from the heat. There are several ways to do this, an example is the Woo item in the ceramic grills store.
  • jbsmith
    Options
    The Woo looks very interesting.

I think I will do it again but back to indirect with a drip pan.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I love lamb. Only way I have found to cook it is indirect, unless they are lamb chops, then you can go hotter and direct. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Definitely go indirect.  Never had any problems with that technique.  Grape vines provide a nice light smoked flavor
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • jbsmith
    Options
    Ok  so listening to you all heres what I got.  I ran for nearly 6 hours the internal tamp was 147f, the grate was between 210f and 245f. Theme showed 235F.  The result was getting there a bit rare for me and the wife still complained of smokey last.  
  • jbsmith
    Options
    Sorry picture from my last attempt
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like you cooked indirect.
    Options
    Re: wife.  

Season with olive oil, fresh garlic, rosemary or some green herb.  Cook it in your oven until 125F internal.  Get a hot fire on your egg.  Cook raised direct until the internal temp is where you want.  

You should please the wife.  Trust me (don't listen to anyone that starts out by saying that) ;)

Plan B could be a foot massage.
    did you mean direct the whole time ?
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Was the smoke 'good' smoke, or did you put the meat on soon after filling/lighting the egg?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    147 was too rare....lamb goes downhill fast after 125, i take it off the grill before that.  if i was cooking that piece i would kabob it on rosemary skewers with a lemon juice, garlic, mint, herbs de province marinade and cook direct at 450/500
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mama Roneck
    Options
    I've braised a lamb shoulder in an open pan - raised indirect.  3-4 hours and its delicious

sort of like this: 
    http://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/anchor-and-hopes-slow-cooked-shoulder-of-lamb/5880.html
    Mamaroneck
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Lamb is a gamey meat and it reacts very easily with smoke. Use some herbs and garlic on your lamb and baste it with a wine vinegar and same herbs (thyme, rosemary, and garlic) you will get a much better result.

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Lamb is not gamey. It tastes like lamb

i really don't understand this desire for uniformly bland beef or chicken flavor that everyone has.

• 1move
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw that's your opinion. My opinion is that it's gamey, I never said it didn't taste like lamb or that it wasn't lamb. Just like deer, caribou, moose, goat, elk, and many others have an acquired taste so does lamb!
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    edited February 2016
    Options
    We love lamb and eat it often. This my favorite web site I go to when looking for inspiration. www.kalofagas.ca 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My son loves, loves, loves lamb chops on the BGE. I have never tried any other cut of lamb. His taste pallet is odd, very straight and narrow. What he seems to enjoy is junk food, plain white rice, actually plain everything, and Mountain Dew. He likes chicken, plain. Steak, plain. Strange to me, as I love spices, herbs, everything.
    My question is this, when doing a shoulder roast, as mentioned above, will the herbs and spices impact the flavor significantly, or should I just stick to chops?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    @YukonRon I believe there are certain spices that definitely enhance a lamb roast. Rosemary, Thyme, Garlic, Ginger, Coriander, Cumin, Oregano. I like to add some roughly chopped mint leaves. I also like to garnish with Chimichurri sauce. The Chimichurri adds a nice zesty flavor and helps to cut through the slight fatty taste. You need to give it a try. Lamb prices are pretty good at the moment
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @YukonRon I believe there are certain spices that definitely enhance a lamb roast. Rosemary, Thyme, Garlic, Ginger, Coriander, Cumin, Oregano. I like to add some roughly chopped mint leaves. I also like to garnish with Chimichurri sauce. The Chimichurri adds a nice zesty flavor and helps to cut through the slight fatty taste. You need to give it a try. Lamb prices are pretty good at the moment
    Thank you John. I will. If I may ask, my son really likes Mediterranean flavored lamb and chicken. Are you aware of any recipes or threads that are available to study and experiment with?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Thank you John. I will. If I may ask, my son really likes Mediterranean flavored lamb and chicken. Are you aware of any recipes or threads that are available to study and experiment with?
    This is my favorite Mediterranean site. www.kalofagas.ca
  • 1move
    Options
    @YukonRon I am from the Mediterranean and trust me that recipe I posted is awesome. Just make sure you baste it with red wine or wine vinegar and add salt and pepper.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ