Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Re-heating Duck Confit

Options
Zmokin
Zmokin Posts: 1,938
I bought Duck Confit at Costco.  It is already fully cooked.  Directions to re-heat included grilling, pan frying, broiling in the oven.  I'm thinking of re-heating it in the BGE and was wondering if I should try to smoke it, or because it is already cooked, the smoke can't penetrate, so I shouldn't bother with smoke wood.  What do y'all think.  Raised Direct at 400 for 30 minutes.  BTW, it is just two hindquarters in the bag.
Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
 and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'd heat it indirect, lower temp. No need to blast it it's already cooked. Sure, you could add smoke, I bet it'd be tasty. Only downside might be if there's skin on it may not crisp so maybe you need some higher heat for that?

OT - one of our Xmas turkeys is done confit. Broken down into parts and cooked in duck fat. Skin is cooked separately. Delicious!

ill be interested to see what you do with these
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    you can reheat it by smoking. Smoke will always add smoke flavor. Smoke doesn't penetrate anyway. Lands on the meat, into nooks and crannies sure, but no penetrating 'into' the meat. So smoke away

Could also go indirect in a cast iron pan, skin down. Might help crisp the skin
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Little Steven
    Options
    The thing about the confit process is the skin doesn't crisp. You can use it for salads, soups, stews, rillettes etc. but if serving as a leg you want to crisp it up. A hot pan is typical.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    Little steven
    ive never heard the term "confit" can you clue me in please.  Thanks
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It means to cook slowly in it's own fat. Duck is the most common but you can do any fowl or red meat. When I do duck legs I salt them heavily and add herbs and garlic and keep them under weight for three days. Then I cook them in duck fat at 200*F for ten hours.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zmokin
    Options
    I forgot to take a pick on the Egg, but here it is plated.

duck.jpg 188.1K

• Little Steven
    Options
    How did you heat?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zmokin
    Options
    How did you heat?
    Raised Direct at 400F, 15 minutes per side.

Now the gravy was a lot more involved.