Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

31 day dry age rack of lamb - not sure about it.

Options
 31 days ago I started an experiment to do a  14 and 21 day dry aged rack of lamb. However after 21 days life caught up to me and I had way too much to do. The egg was going today after cooking a bird and I remembered that I have the rack a lamb. This is what it looks like pre-cook. Not sure if it's even worth doing.  It smells good, but looks a bit dry (go figure). But It is still soft in the center, though it is small now as you can see in relation to a beer cap. 

Before I try cooking, I was wondering if there is not another opportunity to do something else with it.  Maybe cut from the rib, and slice paper thin on the slicer?  My main concern with doing that is that it was not salt cured in any way.
Anyone have any thoughts? Summoning all the big guns here:  @northGAcock  @Darby_Crenshaw  @DMW@nolaegghead  @SGH  @theyolksonyouor anyone else?

--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options

A thing of beauty sir!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Get out the toilet bowl cleaner!

i kid, not sure either way good luck,
    Seattle, WA
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @Little Steven   Cook it?  Or have another suggestion?  
    Large and MiniMax

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Still fine. But yeah, there's a reason you don't dry age small pieces of meat for extended periods

don't trim it
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Roast it low temps. Don't sear. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    Got it.  That is what the original plan was. 200-225F to about 128-130F internal.  Just did not want to miss an opportunity if one was available. 

thanks guys. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Little Steven
    Options
    Still fine. But yeah, there's a reason you don't dry age small pieces of meat for extended periods

don't trim it
    It's a whole primal dude

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Rack of lamb is not big (diameter). 

I mean, elves can ride them, sure. So from your perspective they seem large. 

But to normal sized humans, a lamb yields small cuts even as primals

even the small end of a beef rib eye primal can be too dry if you go too long

dry age a pork loin 28 days? Sure. Pork tenderloin? After 28 days you'll have a violin string 

• Little Steven
    Options
    31 days isn't a long dry age is it?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    For a small chunk of meat, sure. Rack of lamb is an inch and a half across max. Under the fat

i would wet age the shizznit out of it and maybe go two weeks? Nevr done rack of lamb

i have a rack of goat on hand. May try it

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
     Just did not want to miss an opportunity if one was available
    Sorry I'm late on the draw. Been at my mothers today working on her roof. However I have saw the question at hand now. With that said, the meat is fine. It looks "tight" as hell, but still should be fine. I'm looking at your pic so it may not actually be as tight as it looks in the pic. Photos can be deceiving. 21 days into the game, there are not many options that I can think of other than to just cook it. If it was 21 days into a cure, that would open several doors that are now closed. Unless Stike/Darby has a ace up his sleeve, I say slow smoke it. Again, my apologies for being late to the ball game my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    I do not thinks so for larger cuts, but for lamb, I do think it is. As you can see in the picture, surface area to volume ratio is not that big.

It is going to be interesting when cooked. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I have gone 100 days with ribeye, and those are dry. Taste great. But don't expect a juicy roast. Juice is mostly water, and that's what dry aging is trying to reduce

still edible, still has all that flavor. Just might be more like jerky than you want

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I cant imagine what dry aged lamb would taste like. Regular lamb to me has already got a strong flavor,
    Does the flavor intensify or moderate during dry aging?
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Dehydration intensifies flavor

less water. Plus the enzymes break flavorless proteins into flavorful amino acids

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I am not a big gun but I think it is fine. Might be extremely strong tasting but sure it is fine 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SGH
    edited February 2016
    Options
    GregW said:
    I cant imagine what dry aged lamb would taste like. Regular lamb to me has already got a strong flavor,
    Does the flavor intensify or moderate during dry aging?
    When done property in a very controlled environment, dry aged lamb takes on dare I say a "butter" taste. It is outstanding to say the least. Wet aging can never seriously approach the deep rich flavor that comes from dry aging. Beef takes on a "musky" or "beefier" taste where dry aged lamb takes on a more "butter" like taste. If you have never had it, you owe it to yourself to try it at least once. It is outstanding to say the very least. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GregW
    Options
    My lamb cooks have always resulted in a mass coyote poisoning in the back yard.
    Maybe I need to try it again with some forum supervision.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Why are so many wigged out when it comes to lamb?!??

• GregW
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The lamb I have had has always had for lack of a better word a gamey flavor.
    Maybe I just haven't had it properly prepared.
    The deep south isn't really lamb country, at least not for the area I'm in.
  • SGH
    Options
    GregW said:
    The deep south isn't really lamb country, at least not for the area I'm in.
    If I may ask, where are located? I'm on mobile view so I can't see your sig. 

Status- Standing by.

• GregW
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Birmingham Area
  • SGH
    Options
    GregW said:
    Birmingham Area
    Gods country. 

Status- Standing by.

• GregW
    Options
    It has been referred to that way. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Everyone wants everything to taste like chicken

shrug

i like lamb to taste like lamb. Game to taste like game. Ham like ham, etc. 

• SGH
    Options
    GregW said:
    Birmingham Area
    I'm a fellow Dixielander myself. Biloxi, MS.

Status- Standing by.

• GregW
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Biloxi is a nice town. A long time ago I used to make it to the area to work on the Gayfers department store. That was the late 80's. I remember working there after a hurricane had came through the area.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Absolutely love lamb!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    'Gayfers' are what LittleSteven called my blue suede loafers. He is a hurtful spiteful cruel little man

• GregW
    Options