Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb leg

Options
GRN96WS6
GRN96WS6 Posts: 60
edited February 2016 in Lamb
Cooked a lamb leg tonight, marinated overnight with garlic cloves placed inside slits I cut, and then rubbed with evoo and some stubbs dry bbq rub.  I cooked til 140 which was about 2hrs at 250, then seared for 2 mins per side at 600ish

Tommy
LBGE

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've looked at that several times in the store- how did it turn out?

Greensboro, NC
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    My old man would be in heaven. Nice cook. 
  • GRN96WS6
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    I've looked at that several times in the store- how did it turn out?

Its a gamey meat so I feel it needs marinated to have the flavor soak into it, but I did like it, still tasted a little gamey but not as much.
    Tommy
    LBGE
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Lamb is an acquired taste. I cook mine to 125-130 IT for medium rare...no sear. I like to serve chimmichurri (sp?) with lamb. It cuts the richness of the meat. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Love lamb medium rare.  That's a nice cook brother, i'd devour that!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Lamb is an acquired taste. I cook mine to 125-130 IT for medium rare...no sear. I like to serve chimmichurri (sp?) with lamb. It cuts the richness of the meat. 
    I am with you on the temps and also love chimmichurri..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    @GRN96WS6 Excuse me I didn't mention how great your lamb and post was.. Fantastic looking meal and kudos for slipping in a fork with the plated shot =)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I have said it a hundred times - I love lamb. Did a dry age rack 2 weeks ago. 

Your leg looks great. I prefer mine a bit more on the rare side, but I would still tear yours up, and since it is morning right now, it would be for breakfast. 

Thinking of getting a small bone-in leg and curing it to a prosciutto...  Hmmm.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i think the "gaminess" is a learned aversion. 

we have served a lot of kids over the year at easter, and they all eat lamb.  it's the older adults, often wives, who shy away from it and say it's gamey.

it's so damn mild now, there's no gaminess in it. 

FWIW, gaminess always seems to be a negative.  wouldn't you want your boar to taste like boar, your venison to taste like venison, your whatever to taste like whatever?  years of flavorless cornfed beef and commercial pork have really steered the american palate's expectation to blandness and mildness.

gimme my damn lamb, man!

@sea2ski is a man after my own heart.  re: doing it as prosciutto, i think that is a fantastic idea.  it has been done (not by me tho).  i would recommend a whole bone-in leg, and doing it just as an italian prosciutto (buried in salt under weight, 'aitch'-bone removed (although I think you will find it gone anyway).

there is a lamb ham that is a traditional recipe, called fenalar.  i really (really, REALLY) like that stuff.  easy to do, and great served cold and thin sliced.  i do it at easter.  LittleChef, a member here from long ago pointed me to Victoria Wise's "American Charcuterie", and it is in there.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Pardon my rudeness, @GRN96WS6, at not mentioning that your cook looks great in my previous post.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • GRN96WS6
    Options
    Thanks gents!  I have never cooked lamb before so I didn't know you could eat it rare, now that I know I'll likely do it that way when I do this again.

What I hate is re heating it cooks it more dangit!!
    Tommy
    LBGE
  • annjamaican
    Options
    Good job! Agreed that lamb needs a greater degree of spicing, the Middle Easterners and North Africans seem to have the formula down pat. I hope to find a bone-in leg for méchoui someday. 
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • Little Steven
    Options
    i think the "gaminess" is a learned aversion. 

we have served a lot of kids over the year at easter, and they all eat lamb.  it's the older adults, often wives, who shy away from it and say it's gamey.

it's so damn mild now, there's no gaminess in it. 

FWIW, gaminess always seems to be a negative.  wouldn't you want your boar to taste like boar, your venison to taste like venison, your whatever to taste like whatever?  years of flavorless cornfed beef and commercial pork have really steered the american palate's expectation to blandness and mildness.

gimme my damn lamb, man!

@sea2ski is a man after my own heart.  re: doing it as prosciutto, i think that is a fantastic idea.  it has been done (not by me tho).  i would recommend a whole bone-in leg, and doing it just as an italian prosciutto (buried in salt under weight, 'aitch'-bone removed (although I think you will find it gone anyway).

there is a lamb ham that is a traditional recipe, called fenalar.  i really (really, REALLY) like that stuff.  easy to do, and great served cold and thin sliced.  i do it at easter.  LittleChef, a member here from long ago pointed me to Victoria Wise's "American Charcuterie", and it is in there.

And here I thought I introduced you to fenelar

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i posted that back in 2011 i think

this was easter 2011....

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Now your showing off brother  ;). Thank you for all your input!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Little Steven
    Options
    My Swiss buddy brought me some around then. I told you about it. Short term memory goes first.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw damn that looks great

i think when people complain about gamey lamb they're eating tough old not great quality meat. Good quality lamb tastes deliciously.... Lamb-y?

i tried some different cuts from lava lake farms last summer.  very good stuff. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I also think that some of the flavor objections people have may come from overcooking it.  Many people seem to overcook lamb.  I recall that overcooked beef has a taste profile that I do not like (working from memory here since I go for medium rare or less for beef roasts).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Looks great.  Did you use any wood for smoking?  I generally addsome grape vines.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    My Swiss buddy brought me some around then. I told you about it. Short term memory goes first.
    First time i heard of it was in the charcuterie book from Li'l Chef

i amemba goodly

• ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    Did you do that at 350?
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    ar15203 said:
    Did you do that at 350?
    who? OP? op was at 250 with 600 searing at the end.

if mine, well, mine is not a leg of lamb roast, it is hot smoked lamb ham (cured). smoked 180-200-ish without letting it get to more than maybe 140 internal