Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry aged rack of lamb.

Options
I love lamb. Love it.  I have been getting into dry aging as well. I enjoyed the beef and pork roasts I have done and got to thinking that the only place I saw dry aged lamb was on my AU/NZ trip.  So I thought I would give it a try. Earlier this week, after 14 days of drying I pulled one out. Weight went from 2lb 3 oz to 1lb 14.5 oz. 

Put it on the egg at 225F and cooked it to 128. Done. I did a mini reverse sear, but the fat started to really burn so I pulled it off the egg. Served over a bit of polenta which had some shiitake mushrooms in it. It was crazy tender. No knife needed at all. The taste was very strong, not too strong, but I think I need to cook the other rack this weekend before it is too strong. Is it a do over?  Not sure if it is worth it. For something different, yes, but not dying to do it again. 
Still really enjoyed it though! 

--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Just awesome! I love grilled lamb.

Well done, sir! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Wonderful!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    tough to get much flavor from aging in just a couple weeks.  but it you go much longer, the thing will shrink dramatically.

might be a good idea to wet age for a few weeks and thendry age a further two.

i'd skip the reverse sear myself.  burnt fat is not that appetizing, and there's a lot of fat on  a rack of lamp.  i'd just cook it low and slow until to temp

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw this lamb was NZ lamb, sat 10 days in the cyrovac (not to mention however long since the animal was processed and shipped) then 5 days after the "sell by" date is when I started drying it.  This had plenty of flavor. But as you said, if left to go much longer, there is not going to be much left.   To me, lamb fat is not pleasant when grilled, which is why it was a mini-sear. I smelled it and did not like it so I stopped. I think you and I share this opinion. Next one I will skip all together. 

The tenderness was otherworldly. Never had a rack of lamb so tender. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks crazy good.  I like the presentation over the polenta.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Dude! :bow: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Next one I will skip all together. 

FWIW, thoughtyou were talking about dry aging, not the reverse sear.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Deviledegger
    Options
    Wow! That looks some kinda good! I've been given a lamb too butcher if I want it. ... for free!   After seeing these pics I think I might try to expedite this transaction. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Going for an Adam Perry Lang "Mechoui" (Morocco) leg tomorrow...  Love Lamb.  Thanks for posting!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.