Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon and smoke wood?

Options
Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
Salmon on the egg last night.  Little mayo, Penzey's lemon pepper, raised direct at 350*, with one piece of pecan for smoke.  Cooked for ten minutes skin side down, and then, slid a soaked cedar board under the fish to finish the cook.  Glazed with butter five minutes before pulling the fish.  The missus said it was "okay" ... which is her code for "try again dummy."  She likes a milder smoke favor on all protein, thus the big stack of Rockwood in the basement.

1) Do you add a smoke wood?  If so, what and how much? Surfed back a couple of years and it seems that @stemc33 is one of the few who mentions smoke wood ... apple chips one time and orange another.

2) @pgprescott mentions the "kiss of cedar" ... is he being poetic or does it flavor the fish?  Remember that I had the fish skin side down on the plank and the skin was left behind during the consumption process.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    adler or guava are my choices
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    No smoke wood here with salmon but suspect the combination of pecan and cedar is what drove it over the top.  I'm guessing one or the other and you would be okay.  But ....
    In the Pacific Northwest (PNW) the main event with salmon (at least for tourists) is alder smoked salmon...done over a wood fire thus the fish can take some smoke...FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    You are like a girl asking if I like your dress.  I say yes, then you change anyway.

I told you no smokewood, just the cedar plank.  If you must have smoke flavor then char the plank and set the fish skin side down on the charred side.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac ... Well, do you ... like my dress I mean?

I asked you after the barn door was left open ...

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I used sugar maple with my salmon cook. It was delicious. First time out and used a cedar plank as well.
    I did not use a lot, but I cooked a rather large amount, 4-6 servings.
    I definitely recommend it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I bought a variety pack of plank "seconds" online (dirt cheap). Alder seems to be the mildest of the bunch. You might give that a whirl. 
  • Jeepster47
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @YukonRon ... we have a Sugar Maple farm about 50 miles away ... will have to see if they'll let me help clean up their woods.

Alder?  Will look to see if anyone carries it locally.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I use a maple syrup based glaze. So I thought I would toss in a couple small chunks of sugar maple. Worked out pretty well
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I do the cedar plank thing if people tell me they like it.  the presentation is kind of cool.  but it tastes like turpentine to me most of the time.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    alder wood
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I do the cedar plank thing if people tell me they like it.  the presentation is kind of cool.  but it tastes like turpentine to me most of the time.
    @blind99 ... that was one of my fears.  At least you know what wine will compliment the turpentine/resin taste ... Retsina would seem the perfect compliment.

Never could understand how the Greeks could make such a good product like Ouzo and then such a bad product as Retsina.

• RRP
    Options
    Tom,
    Here's the link for guava wood, which I keep on hand. BTW this fellow is an egger himself.
    http://www.hawaiiguava.com/guava-smoking-wood.html

As for alder H & P has stocked it before - worth a call to check first at 691-5959. Believe it or not Menards used to carry it, but I haven't seen any there for a while.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @RRP ... no alder at H & P ... or, so says the gal.  As for guava ... maybe later ... think I picked on you for importing in from Hawaii, so ... we'll see.

• RRP
    Options
      As for guava ... maybe later ... think I picked on you for importing in from Hawaii, so ... we'll see.
    Importing? from our 50th state?   =)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Alder would be my distant second choice. Lots of people prefer the alder to the cedar though. If you don't consume the skin, I would discard it prior to cooking. Fwiw, raging river is great on salmon. 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I cook salmon on the grate and find peach or apricot impart a little smoke without overwhelming the salmon flavor.  It's a one chunk cook.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.