Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another benefit of temp controllers + SGH meatloaf cook

Options
A couple of friends with a new baby invited my wife & I and our less-new baby over for dinner on short notice. I remembered seeing SGH's "Best Appetizer" thread this week and thinking it would make a great entrée, too. So with four hours to go, I realized I needed to run out & buy a couple of things at the store.

Being able to start a fire, plug in the controller and then shoot out to the grocery store without fiddling with the vents is a nice benefit of having a controller. I know a lot of purists look down their noses at them, but even aside from the overnight cooks where they really shine, controllers bring tremendous convenience to cooking on the Egg.
LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i think that's great, and i don't begrudge anyone their devices.

but i can tell you honestly, i light my BGE, shut the dome, and set vents for the temp i want, and by the time i'm done prepping food, it's pegged.

no need to let the egg run wide open and then when the fire is "going good", dial in a temp.

you can just set the vents and walk away.

again though, don't take that as a slam.

i'm just to cheap myself, to spend cash on a controller.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• DeltaNu1142
    Options
    Sure, thanks! It might just be a skill I didn't let develop. I'm sure what I'm talking about is possible without a controller as well, but I'm more comfortable with this setup.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i'll just add that the reason many of us bought a BGE, prior to the advent of the controllers, was precisely because they could hold and maintain a set temp for hours on end, being otherwise airtight.  that's actually the exact reason i got mine, to do overnights without tending a fire.

i think i had mine a couple/few years before i saw a controller come along, and just never 'needed' one because i had learned to drive stick shift, as it were.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I only bought mine because I won a gift card towards one at an eggfest.  Only use it for overnight cooks.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    i'll just add that the reason many of us bought a BGE, prior to the advent of the controllers, was precisely because they could hold and maintain a set temp for hours on end, being otherwise airtight.  that's actually the exact reason i got mine, to do overnights without tending a fire.

i think i had mine a couple/few years before i saw a controller come along, and just never 'needed' one because i had learned to drive stick shift, as it were.

Have your overnight temps ever been affected by wind? I was able to keep my temp consistent the other week using the Cyber Q during a 50-70 MPH wind gust.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    blizzard conditions, 27 inches of snow.

no issue.

went to bed with no snow on the ground.  30 mph gusts overnight and a dump of snow.  woke up around 7:30 to find a drift was encroaching on the lower vent, i opened the back door, leaned out with a broom, and swept the snow away from the vent.  shut the door.

at noon or so i went out and yanked the pork shoulder off the egg and shredded it for game time.