Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Salt Lake City, UT

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
Work is taking me there in May.  Any good restaurants or attractions you recommend for after hours? TIA!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    After hours attractions? Can't wait to see the list this group comes up with  B)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    After hours attractions? Can't wait to see the list this group comes up with  B)
    LOL.  Scratch that I said "after hours"... Let's just say restaurants or "must see touristy places."  I'm too old for that kinda excitement. ;)  
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    There are some great places to eat there- my experiences are mostly downtown. I have been there 3-5 times a year for the past 8 years or so. @botch will chime in soon with more. 

Lunch- sandwich shop- the robins nest

Valter's Osteria is a great Italian place downtown- he will come out and meet you and is very friendly. There is a pasta trio they will do as an app that is amazing. All hand made pastas etc.   he used to be the head chef at Cucina toscana and it is good too. 

Takashi and naked fish are both good for sushi. 

New Yorker is a local famous place but it's mediocre to me. 

The nicest restaurant in town is probably Forge- I haven't made it but hear good things 

the copper onion is good and somewhat reasonable. 

For lunch you can go to a triple D place called Moochies- good meatball subs and steak and cheese. Try the jalapeño sauce- it's awesome

that area is also well known for their fry sauce- give it a try. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Red iguana was pretty good for Mexican. They have several mole sauces which they let you sample before ordering.  It gets crowded so make a reservation. I think the roasted pumpkin seed mole was my favorite. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Awesome feedback.  Thx guys!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Red iguana is good.  I don't know if your a beer buy but the squatters brew pubs are decent.  I haven't spent much time in slc.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Have to agree with all of the above, plus add Cafe Trio on 9th E. and 900 South.   
    If you don't mind driving 40 minutes or so, I can highly recommend Park City, and Ogden's 25th Street also (PM me if you come up to Ogden and want some company!)  

If you have half a day and want to see the mountains, Snowbird ski area just opened their new, 11,000-ft restaurant, and the videos I've seen of it are fantastic; I've seen the construction site but haven't been to the finished place yet.  You should be able to get cheep lift tickets to the restaurant only.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx guys!  Great info... @Botch, I may hafta take you up on that!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    SLC gives new meaning to the term "dry county". lol. I would stick with Flemings can't go wrong there. Not much of a night life, maybe a movie in your hotel room....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    SLC gives new meaning to the term "dry county". lol. I would stick with Flemings can't go wrong there. Not much of a night life, maybe a movie in your hotel room....
    I'm not one for night life, so a good restaurant and a movie at the hotel sounds great.  ;)
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Drinks are readily available now- much better than it was even 4 or 5 years ago.  Haven't seen many places that make you buy a membership to get a drink like there used to be (although memberships were only $1/year). Now as long as you order food you can get a drink.  

Greensboro, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    no.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll be there tomorrow through Sunday and go for 2 weeks a year (summer and winter). The only spot I have found with any reason to exist outside a strip mall in cleveland is Naked Fish Sushi downtown
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Forgot about the Red Iguana. It's actually pretty good dive Mexican (and I'm in Texas). They also have a Blue Iguana downtown- I've eaten there and seems to be the same food as the Red Iguana but the Red is the original and most famous.

• StillSmoken
    Options
    As Stated The Red Iguiana.  They have a few locations now.  I prefer the original one. 
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options

I like the Red Rock Brewing Co. way better than Squatters.  Both beer and food are better.  They have a wood fire pizza oven behind the bar.  Fun to watch them make the pizza while you eat and drink your dinner.

Definitely Moochies for a steak n cheese with jalapeno sauce.  Pretty mild, but tasty.

Epic brewing Co. for hotel beers.  Most places will give you a fridge if you ask (or you may already have one).

Rodizio is a decent Brazillian steak house, and more affordable than similar restaurants I have seen.

Park city is a fun evening dinner trip.  About 40 minutes each way.  Tons of options.

Pass on the BBQ joints.

Red and Blue Iguana are definitely good.