Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A question for the Blackstone Gods.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
Since brother Grim created the original Blackstone post and gave his review of the product, there has been numerous people post theirs as well. Seeing all the great cooks that everyone has posted has got me to wanting one as well. With that said, after careful review I see that there are 2 style of burner options. One is the traditional Venturi round style (turkey & fish fryer type) and the other is the vertical tube or "H" style. Has anyone tried both styles and know the pros of cons of each? My gut feeling is the H type would be the way to go but as with most things, sometimes what seems to be the obvious choice or solution is not always the case. I'm really wanting to get one and would like to hear from anyone who has used both and has a preference. I thank you for your input in advance my friends. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SGH
    Options
    Anybody???

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: 

Status- Standing by.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Do you have the "option" to choose or is it only the option to choose the grill size as it now seems the 28" and the 36" use different burner styles?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Do you have the "option" to choose 
    Yes sir. They had both sizes in the store and you could get either burner on either size. Your thoughts on the burners?

Status- Standing by.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    I have never used the unit. Only read tons of reviews. If I had to pick from the reviews I would lean towards the "H" style as well.
    Almost bit a few times. Keeping things rust free is a big challenge and I just don't think I would give it the care needed. We have Natural Gas and I think I would skip the portable unit and get a higher end stainless griddle that I could plumb into the NG. Just my thoughts.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@SGH   I've never seen the option.  I have he standard tube style.

For what it's worth, the Blackstone is one of the cooking gear purchases I am most happy with.  I absolutely love the thing.  

With all the things you have "helped" me buy, I feel it's only appropriate for me to help you over the edge on this one.

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    If I had to pick from the reviews I would lean towards the "H" style as well.
     Just my thoughts.
    I was thinking that the H style would best as well but thought I would ask just to be sure. I appreciate your thoughts and input my friend. I really do. In my short time here I have either responded to or answered over 17,0000 questions. I ask one question and you and brother Photo are the only persons to respond. Makes one stop and ponder for a moment. 

Status- Standing by.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I haven't heard of the options, I have the round style I believe. I really don't thing it matters.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Photo Egg Thank you brother.  It's a done deal, I'm bringing it home. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @SGH, I didn't even know there was an option.  Mine has 4 tube burners that works well fwit.  Have fun with it brother!!  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    Options
    SGH said: I ask one question and you and brother Photo are the only persons to respond. Makes one stop and ponder for a moment. 
    What am I, chopped liver? lol

Phoenix 
  • Photo Egg
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Unless you have cooked on both styes I guess it is a hard question to answer with any solid, honest information as a comparison. Kind of like people giving advice on the XL and never have coked on it.lol
    What store are you looking at that offers the unit in both styles?
    I remember reading posts about the company changing from one style to the other  and some people were not happy. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    edited November 2015
    Options
    blasting said:
    SGH said: I ask one question and you and brother Photo are the only persons to respond. Makes one stop and ponder for a moment. 

@Photo Egg -No sir, I said "you" and brother Photo. You were the one I quoted my friend. Or I thought that I did. However, thank you for your input my friend. It's much appreciated I assur you. 

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would have responded but you asked the questions to the blackstone gods and I am a mere demi-god.  I haven't perfected hash browns yet so I didn't feel qualified to answer :P. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    @SGH, for what it is worth, here is my two cents.

I just bought my Blackstone, but haven't cooked on it yet.  Mine is the four tube burner type. They run front to back across the entire griddle. I did crank it up and season it.  While it was heating up I ran the temps with the IR thermo.  I found very little difference in the temps across the griddle.

I also have a Camp Chef two burner (round) cooker that is carried in my RV.  I bought the cast iron griddle that fits the entire top, not quite as big as the BS but good size none the less. There are cooler spots in the corners, edges and the middle of the griddle.  I seemed to be constantly moving things around during a cooking process.

For that reason I believe the the four tube burners will provide for a more even cooking temp across the board.  The four burners will also allow for lowering or raising temps in sections of the griddle as required.

Hope that helps.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • SGH
    Options
    Sonny3 said:

For that reason I believe the the four tube burners will provide for a more even cooking temp across the board.  The four burners will also allow for lowering or raising temps in sections of the griddle as required.

Hope that helps.
    Thank you brother. It helps a lot. And what you said above is kind of what I was thinking about the more even heating. Again, thank you.

Status- Standing by.

• blasting
    Options
    SGH said:
    blasting said:

No sir, I said "you" and brother Photo. You were the one I quoted my friend. 

That'll teach me to try and bust chops while sampling smoke ice cubes in cocktails for the benefit of another thread...

Phoenix 
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    @SGH,you are most welcome.  As one of the newbies here, it feels good to be able to contribute something once in a while.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • SGH
    Options
    I would have responded but you asked the questions to the blackstone gods and I am a mere demi-god.  
    Brother you are more than qualified as one of the Blackstone Gods my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    SGH said:
    Photo Egg said: I really do. In my short time here I have either responded to or answered over 17,0000 questions. I ask one question and you and brother Photo are the only persons to respond. Makes one stop and ponder for a moment. 
    I didn't know it was an option either. I know this, you're going to have fun cooking on that thing. 

Perhap you would've gotten more response if you said you were buying it to cook for Syrian refugees. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    @SGH,you are most welcome.  As one of the newbies here, it feels good to be able to contribute something once in a while.
    To me someone being new has nothing to do with what they can contribute. For example, not so long ago I was a "newbie" on the forum myself. I was even new to using the egg. However I had over 40 years of Q under my belt. For this reason I welcome input from the new and old alike. You just never know what the person on the other end has achieved or accomplished. He may be new on the forum, but very well versed in real life experience. I welcome input from all for this reason my friend. And more often than not, it's the new guys that are most willing to help and contribute, not the long term ones. So keep the good advice coming my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Perhap you would've gotten more response if you said you were buying it to cook for Syrian refugees. 
    Sadly you are probably correct.  For the record, I hate refugees almost as much as I hate Yeti. I hope that they both sink ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    SGH said:
    I hate refugees almost as much as I hate Yeti. I hope that they both sink ;)
    Any chance you might be taking this Yeti Bashing just a little to far? I don't like paying more for a product than I must but It's my choice as the buyer. I hardly blame the company for making money. Now if it was my local water company and I was forced to pay inflated costs for something that I must have, that's another story. But saying you hate a cooler company and compare to them refugees?
    Not that you should give a crap about what I think but there are enough cooler bashing posts with/out bring it up out of the clear blue again. It just drives the wedge deeper and certainly does not help RTIC, this forum or the respect you have gained over the years on this forum.
    I know forums are going to have trash talk and it's fun to point but this is really getting to a ridiculous point.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Not sure peeps have used both.  But I'm in the Mallmann camp that prefers a chapa with multiple zones, as opposed to one even zone.  The uneven cooking that most complain about, is actually a good thing.  Same goes for direct grilling.  That is why the eggs have taken a backseat to the Webers as of late.  

When it comes to griddles, he is the "Griddle God" you seek. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SGH
    Options
    @Photo Egg You know I guess that I presume that people know when I'm just joking. I honestly do most of all of that in jest. Example, I bash democrats but my best forum friend (Nola) is a democrat. I bash Yeti but I own several Yeti products. Heck I have done more posts promoting Yeti products than probably anyone. I really don't mean a thing by any of it. Just having fun with the people who get all bent out of shape easily. The truth is, I really don't care who likes Yeti or dislikes RTIC. I like both of them but I do feel that RTIC is the better deal. That was the reason I shared the link months ago. To offer people a alternative. Not everone can justify spending several hundred dollars on a cooler but just about everyone can turn loose of 200 or less. But you bring a valid point to light, not everone knows me and as such they have no way of knowing that I'm only kidding or playing around. So with all of that said, my apologies to anyone who thought that I was serious. It's just my attempt at humor. Nothing more my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    @SGH As much time as I spend on this forum, to me, it seemed to have gone past the joking point long ago by a few people. But I also don't know the background history between many of the members. So I guess maybe the bashing is directed more at another member than the actual content of the post. Just don't think it's right to do so at the expense, over priced or good value, of a good company.
    Thank you for your explanation and not taking my comments as an attack on you personally. If I did not respect you as a member I never would have bothered to post if that makes any sense.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Had no idea there was an option. I love my 4 burner tube style though.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Hotch
    Brother I sure appreciate the input my friend. Thank you a lot. 

Photo Egg said:Thank you for your explanation and not taking my comments as an attack on you personally. If I did not respect you as a member I never would have bothered to post if that makes any sense.

It makes perfect sense my friend. And for the record, I don't take anything personal. Even if someone is trying to be mean or hurtful, I just shrug it off and keep on keeping on. My only intent ever has been to help out when and where I can. Rather I have failed or exceeded at this goal, I have certainly tried. And that was the whole reason for posting the original RTIC thread that got buffaloed. To offer a alternative to people wanting a rotomolded cooler but couldn't afford a Yeti or Orion. Please know that the respect is returned in kind my friend. Not to just you but everyone. I value everyone's thoughts and opinions. 

Status- Standing by.