Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Turkey Breast Question

Options
fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,237
In charge of cooking a 6lb turkey breast this year. Getting it from the local butcher on Wednesday morning (day before Thanksgiving). I know it is fresh and not frozen, but I don't think it will be brined.

1) My plan is to cook it Wednesday because I have at least an hour drive and probably won't eat for a few hours after we get there. How should I reheat it?

2) Assuming it is not a brined bird, will I have enough time to brine Wednesday morning and still cook later in the day?

Thanks!
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @fence0407, brief brine won't accomplish much but also won't hurt.  Dry brine would accomplish the most.  As far as reheating I'm not sure. What comes to mind is a turkey oven bag as could help prevent it from drying out.  Put a little herb butter on it then reheat in oven at 250 until up to temp.  Never done it but that would be my approach.  Good luck brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @bgebrent - wasn't sure of cooking it in the morning of would be better than the day before and reheating. I guess I'll find out. Thanks again man!

Wonder what @SGH would do? WWSGHD?
    Cumming, GA  

• bgebrent
    Options
    Morning of if possible!
  • fence0407
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Morning of if possible!
    Wonder how long a 6lb breast would take. It might be possible if I wake up really early. Problem is not necessarily the hour drive, but we don't eat right when we get there. Could be another 2 hours after we arrive before we slice..hmmm...
    Cumming, GA  

• bgebrent
    Options
    I believe bag/towel/cooler would work.  Pour some hot turkey stock over the meat once plattered and you should be good.  Good luck brother!
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    @fence0407 did you see my post on Turkey breast? If curious,  posted it as Turketta and more.   Just shy of three hours start to finish and it was a 6lb breast - deboned.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • fence0407
    Options
    bob.bud said:
    @fence0407 did you see my post on Turkey breast? If curious,  posted it as Turketta and more.   Just shy of three hours start to finish and it was a 6lb breast - deboned.
    I must have missed that one..thanks! Did you serve immediately after?
    Cumming, GA  

• bob.bud
    Options
    It sat for 40 mins or so, I used this recipe

Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • bob.bud
    Options
    Not sure how it would do with the reheating, but with the bacon armor... I would think it would do just fine in a low heat oven.
  • fence0407
    Options
    bob.bud said:
    Not sure how it would do with the reheating, but with the bacon armor... I would think it would do just fine in a low heat oven.
    Thanks for the links. I'll give them a look. That turkey looked delicious by the way! 
    Cumming, GA