Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Wet Aging

Options
How long can you wet age whole packer brisket?  Just picked up prime from Costco and want to save it till 1st or 2nd weekend in December?

Thanks,

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    2 weeks, no problem

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Six to eight weeks

Alton Brown, with his team of lawyers having vetted the liability, dropped that one on his show once. He was talking about beef subprimals in general

basically, as long as you have the guts for it. :)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have gone over 2 months (most of the good ones have 2-3 weeks on them before you can even buy them).

It had a bit of the cryo funk smell when I cracked it but it went away in like 20-30 min. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MelSharples
    Options
    According to the packing plants we buy our boxed beef from a boneless subprimal wet aged in cryo is viable for 110 days from the pack date.  We normally will put a shelf life of 90 days on these items just to be safe.  If there is bone in the meat (beef ribs, export ribeye) then I wouldn't go past 75 days.  The sweet spot is 30-45 days from packing, past that and you start losing taste and texture. I currently have a brisket in the fridge at home that was packed on 9/21 that I am fixing for Thanksgiving.

The issue you may face is that most retailers do not put the pack date from the original box so you may not know how far past the pack date the meat already is.

Also, if the product has been re-packed or taken from the original packer's cryo then you better eat or freeze very soon.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta