Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Restaurant Depot location in Harrisburg, PA

Options
I just noticed that Restaurant Depot has recently opened a store in the Harrisburg area at 4250 Chambers Hill Rd Harrisburg,  PA  17111.  Haven't had a chance to visit there yet but those of you that live near there may want to stop in and do some shopping.

It does require you to have a business (doesn't have to be food related) to get a membership (no charge)  But you can also get a free day pass by showing a membership card from the Kansas City BBQ Society.

The other locations I have been to have a great meat and fish selection but this one doesn't have their fish market open yet.

@cortguitarman and @dmw, you might be interested in this.

Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Thanks for posting @Shiff! It's not much closer than for me than the Langhorne or Philadelphia location, but no question it will be faster to get to. I appreciate the heads up.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I visited the RD in Suitland MD and was not impressed with the cleanliness of the refrigerator section.  It also seemed like the "shoppers" were grabbing stuff as fast as they could - but there really weren't that many people in that section.   I did like some of the prices I saw.  I do not (yet) have a KCBS "ticket" or a EIN number. It is about 35 minutes away, so not that convenient.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    It's the one place I can get whole chuck short ribs. The new one here in Fresno hasn't gotten a seafood counter in yet and hoping they'll start stocking some decent lump.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    GTFO.... AWESOME!

Now, I just need info on what I need to have to get a membership.
  • DMW
    Options
    @stompbox - Join KCBS (http://kcbs.us) for $35/year, that will get you in.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stompbox
    Options
    DMW said:
    @stompbox - Join KCBS (http://kcbs.us) for $35/year, that will get you in.
    It says it is just a day pass.

Joining KCBS has its privileges!

• The official KCBS monthly newsletter, "The Bullsheet"
    • Access KCBS Preferred Rates at Choice Hotels
    • 15% off your total order from Papa Tony's seasonings and ribs.
    • One-day shopping pass at any Restaurant Depot location when you present your KCBS membership card.
    • $6 mail-in-rebate on premium pit-smoked Whole or Sliced Beef Briskets from Sadler's Smokehouse.
    • $0.50 off TABASCO Chipotle or any pepper sauce flavor!

Joining KCBS has its privileges!

• The official KCBS monthly newsletter, "The Bullsheet"
      • Access KCBS Preferred Rates at Choice Hotels
      • 15% off your total order from Papa Tony's seasonings and ribs.
      • One-day shopping pass at any Restaurant Depot location when you present your KCBS membership card.
      • $6 mail-in-rebate on premium pit-smoked Whole or Sliced Beef Briskets from Sadler's Smokehouse.
      • $0.50 off TABASCO Chipotle or any pepper sauce flavor!
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    It's a day pass that you can use over and over.  I just walk in to the service desk show my KCBS card and get my day pass each time I visit.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • DMW
    Options
    @stompbox - Yes, a day pass each time you visit. You don't get a full fledged membership which gives you an online account. But you can shop there as often as you like. In fact, when I visited, they gave me a bar-coded membership card I just scan when I get there and when I check out.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    I visited the RD in Suitland MD and was not impressed with the cleanliness of the refrigerator section.  It also seemed like the "shoppers" were grabbing stuff as fast as they could - but there really weren't that many people in that section.   I did like some of the prices I saw.  I do not (yet) have a KCBS "ticket" or a EIN number. It is about 35 minutes away, so not that convenient.
    I've never been in that particular store, but have been to ones in Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Wilmington, DE.  The meat is all cryovac sealed so it is the same cleanliness as the packing company.  The meat area is always crowded with lots of traffic and looks a little unorganized, but everything seems to actually be fairly well organized. 

The ones that have fish markets also seem very clean and there is no fishy odor. They pack the fish in plastic bags and add a separate bag of ice so it stays very cold. During summer months they have a freezer full of small gel ice packs that you can take (free) for your car cooler.

I consider it a great place to shop.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Wow! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for posting.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Love the RD fish market.  I've been scoring 21-25 count fresh shrimp for $7and change per lb.  Fresh, really good, thick cod filets under $7 lb. Twin packs of pork butt $1.39. Agree on the comment that everything is very fresh probably due to high turnover of inventory. Take a jacket or borrow one of theirs to shop in the cooler that's really a warehouse.  Check out their discounted meat items, all cryovac'd and still within safe date but usually half price.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Oh, and for those who make a lot of rubs, check out prices on spices! 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @Shiff Thanks for the heads up.  I drive by that way a lot on the way to the airport and never noticed the RD.  I just applied for my KCBS membership so I can check RD out.  Looks like the meat selection/price is great.
    Options
    I have a lot of meat in stock, so I am waiting to check this place out but I am excited.  I figure I have enough meat to last me to march on hand though.
  • stompbox
    Options
    If anyone goes, report back.
  • Shiff
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Love the RD fish market.  I've been scoring 21-25 count fresh shrimp for $7and change per lb.  Fresh, really good, thick cod filets under $7 lb. Twin packs of pork butt $1.39. Agree on the comment that everything is very fresh probably due to high turnover of inventory. Take a jacket or borrow one of theirs to shop in the cooler that's really a warehouse.  Check out their discounted meat items, all cryovac'd and still within safe date but usually half price.  
    I'm really looking forward to the Harrisburg location carrying fish.  We were at the Philadelphia (Darien/Pattisson) yesterday and bought a bunch of Salmon for our upcoming needs.  It was fresh Canadian Salmon fillets that weighed about 4 pounds each for $5.65/pound.  They also had fresh Salmon from Norway and Chile for a little less, but we have always liked the Canadian ones better (although there is noting wrong with the others - we just wanted the best for our dinner guests).
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Is the Restaurant Depot reciprocity still available with this membership?

If so, I'm in.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Shiff
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    Is the Restaurant Depot reciprocity still available with this membership?

If so, I'm in.
    I assume you're asking about the Kansas City BBQ Society membership allowing you free access to Restaurant Depot?  If so, the answer is yes.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Yes, I was @Shiff

My apologies for not being clearer.

Thanks!
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Shiff said:
    I just noticed that Restaurant Depot has recently opened a store in the Harrisburg area at 4250 Chambers Hill Rd Harrisburg,  PA  17111.  Haven't had a chance to visit there yet but those of you that live near there may want to stop in and do some shopping.

It does require you to have a business (doesn't have to be food related) to get a membership (no charge)  But you can also get a free day pass by showing a membership card from the Kansas City BBQ Society.

The other locations I have been to have a great meat and fish selection but this one doesn't have their fish market open yet.

@cortguitarman and @dmw, you might be interested in this.

My buddy told me the same thing, ie you dont have to own a food service busimess to belong but if you have a federal tax id of an entity you can gain membership?