Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend butt cook with a little twist

Options
Eggaroo
Eggaroo Posts: 417
Ever since I saw the BGE recipe for Pig Candy I've been wanting to make some but have not had the chance. I had planned to cook a pork butt over this past weekend mostly for my daughter and I to take to work for lunches and I had about 3/4 of a package of bacon in the fridge that needed to be used so I thought why not add some Pig Candy to the butt as sort of an extra bark. I didn't have any maple syrup on hand so I substituted molasses and only coated one side of the bacon because I didn't want to overdo it. It turned out real good and I had a hard time not eating the bacon off the outside while I was pulling the butt apart. The butt went on late Friday night for an overnight smoke at 225:

This is just before the bacon went on. I also scored the top of the butt to allow more smoke and seasonings in. 
Bacon seasoned and layered on top:

Bacon crisped up and ready to remove:

Pulled with the crisped bacon integrated:

After cooking this butt for 15+ hours I did a spatchcock chicken for Saturday night dinner without adding any more lump. Love the XL!
Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Eggaroo
    What a great cook. It looks outstanding my friend. Great job :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggaroo
    Options
    @SGH Thanks! I appreciate the compliment, especially from a master such as yourself.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Pork on pork.  Excellent brother!  And damn I love bacon!  Latest news says it's good for us.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggaroo
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Pork on pork.  Excellent brother!  And damn I love bacon!  Latest news says it's good for us.

Yep! That's what I was thinking. Thanks!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Eggaroo
    Above you said you cooked this at 225. I'm one of the old timers who still likes the long low and slow cooks when time allows for it. There is nothing that I enjoy more than setting up a smoker and watching it idle online for hours on in. In this fast pace world that we now live in, sadly like home butchering, the low and slow is becoming a thing of the past. A forgotten art if you will. To this day, when time allows, I still cook whole beef shoulder in excess of 30 hours. Just reliving the glory days that have passed me by my friend. Again, excellent cook and 2 thumbs up for the low and slow. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.