Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multiple Pork Butt Cooking Question

Options

When cooking more than 1 pork butt at a time, how should I plan for the approximate time for it to be finished?  Would it be based upon the weight of the heaviest pork butt?  Do multiples take longer to cook than cooking 1?

Thanks.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Multiples take slightly longer, but not much.  

There is a small amount of heat recovery time when you put large cold meats on the egg.  More meat= more recovery time needed.  But beyond that, it won't really effect the cook time as long as the meat isn't touching.  

As for cook time, depends on size of butt and cook temp.  I wouldn't cook to size of largest butt, but pull each off individually as needed
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Multiples take slightly longer, but not much.  

There is a small amount of heat recovery time when you put large cold meats on the egg.  More meat= more recovery time needed.  But beyond that, it won't really effect the cook time as long as the meat isn't touching.  

As for cook time, depends on size of butt and cook temp.  I wouldn't cook to size of largest butt, but pull each off individually as needed
    this.  the recovery time is the biggest thing you need to account for.  2 butts should take just as long as 1 once you get your temp stabilized.  that being said, even if they are equal size, they may finish differently
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Thanks.  I've done a couple of butts but only 1 at a time.  Have done the turbo method and really was pleased.  Appreciate the tip on the recovery time.  Will be doing 2 for a family gathering the day after Thanksgiving.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    dihtn said:

Would it be based upon the weight of the heaviest pork butt?  

I will answer the above qouted for you. I will leave the rest of the questions to the Thunder Gods. No it would not. The thickness of the meat more so than anything else (with the exception of cooking temp) is what influences cooking time the most. Not length, not width nor weight. Thickness my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hardwoodcooker
    Options
    If I'm doing multiple pork butts that are of different weights I usually prob the smallest one first, then when that one nears finish temp I check to see how it pulls , then prob the second largest and so on. Works great for me.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    most of my PP is done overnight cuz it is almost always 13-15hrs. I typically stabilize the egg at ~250 starting around 20:30 or so (plate setter in, drip pan in) and adding the meat around 22:00. On the XL, one or even 2 butts, it doesn't take long to recover after opening the lid (maybe 5 minutes or so?? ).  Then off to bed and typically don't check until I wake up the next morning around 07:00.  I have only had the fire at less than the stabilized temp once and by the time I caught it, it was only down to 210 or so. All of the other times, it stays at the 250 mark until I pull it off around 13:00-14:00.