Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 lb brisket flat

Options
I know a packer is ideal but I've got a 5lb flat I need to cook.  Decent fat cap.  My question. Is what's the best way to keep a flat tender.  I'm thinking temp at 235.  Conflicted on foiling.

Thanks!

Comments

• littlerascal56
    Options
    225 smoke until it hits 165 internal.  Wrap w/plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.  Bump grill to 300, pull at 205 internal temp (that's when fiber breaks down).  Put in ice chest with newspaper for up to 4 hours and then cut it!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I just t trimmed 5lb off a
    packer :). i very much disagree with the advice above. Take that for what it's worth. No plastic on brisket. Ever. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Okay- here comes a link to a method that will definitely turn out a good cook with a flat (despite the fact that he starts with a packer).  It is definitely a braise but supposedly it works- your call.

Brisket..... How I do it. - Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The ...  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    With a flat is injecting a no Brainer?  Thanks again for all the feedback 
  • Chef_Hobo
    Options
    Whenever I make a brisket, I usually cook it 240 until the internal temp reaches 190.  Also make sure you have a drip pan with water or beef stock.  Once it hits 190, I immediately wrap it in two layers of heavy duty foil and put it in a cooler (the cheap Styrofoam ones from the supermarket work fine as long as it's thick).  Let it rest for at least 40 minutes, but a few hours in there won't hurt it either.  Low and slow and monitoring the temperature are the keys to a tender brisket. 
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    I recently did a 6 lbs flat, my first attempt at brisket. Rubbed with kosher salt and course pepper, trying the frankin method.  Keeping it simple.  Hickory chunks for smoke and 225 until stall around 165.  Increased grate temp to 285ish after it was stalled for a few hours  (needed to get it finished for dinner guests).  Water pan on plate setter.  Results were awesome, no wrapping, just cooking lid closed till IT was 200ish. Cooked with fat cap up. Finished product was very tender and moist. Guests said it was better than any restaurant brisket!  I was very pleased with first the brisket!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• LKNEgg
    Options
    Brisket was USDA Choice grade for comparison.  Got it at local BJ's club.
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

• theeggcellentchef
    Options
    @LKNEgg thank you.  I had good results foil free as well.  Made some ChilI with the leftovers too!

• LKNEgg
    Options
    Finished product looks awesome!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC