Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prepping the lump for fast start up

Options
I will be cooking a brisket tonight.  I plan to put it on around 2am.  No one...not even me, likes to be up at 2am so I am trying to think of a way to light the egg faster so I can go back to bed.  It usually takes 60 minutes for the "bad" smoke to burn off.  My idea is to run a load of lump today for about 2 hours to cook off the bad stuff then snuff it out.  Then at 2am when I wake up, I can put the food on within 10-15 minutes of lighting.  Is this a terrible idea?

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Good idea for clean smoke but your egg still needs to stabilize at your target temp or you will be fighting the fire all night.   I would let the egg run at target temp for no less than 1-1 1/2hrs. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    What time do you plan to go to bed, how big is the brisket and what temp do you plan to run at?

I am doing one tonight, but am starting it around 7 at the latest, I need it for lunch. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    Good idea for clean smoke but your egg still needs to stabilize at your target temp or you will be fighting the fire all night.   I would let the egg run at target temp for no less than 1-1 1/2hrs. 

Even with a pit controller?  IQ120.  I probably just need to suck it up and do it right.
  • busmania
    Options
    What time do you plan to go to bed, how big is the brisket and what temp do you plan to run at?

I am doing one tonight, but am starting it around 7 at the latest, I need it for lunch. 

Brisket is 13 pounds.  Probably be like 11-12 when trimmed.  Eating at 5pm.  I usually go to bed around 10pm.  I might just put it on when I go to bed and then FTC it if it is done early.  I've learned my lesson, better to be done early than late.  Rushing the end never produces good results.  I can hold in my oven at 170 for 8+hours right?  That is if it finishes that early.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    It usually takes my XL about 30 to 40 minutes to get stabilized at 235 to 250.  I then let it run for another 20 to 30 to make sure it it isn't going to move, but a pit controller may speed that up and make it easier to get going quicker.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I can't answer on the controller because I have never used one.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    With a full load of lump you can light it at 9pm, let it stabilize and then it will be perfect when you get up at 2 to put it on. Have the brisket prepped and ready to go and you will be back in bed by 215.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    From my experience, a stable fire cannot be obtained for a low-n-slow in 15 minutes regardless of VOC burn off. How big is your brisket and what is your cook temp going to be? If you think the cook will last 15-18 hours, you could start the egg and get the temp stable for a few hours (start it at 9 or 10 o'clock) and let it burn until you want to put the brisket on at 2 AM. Add your smoke wood when you get up to put the meat on. I usually have plenty of lump leftover after a brisket cook that runs in the 15-18 hour range. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    I would light your BGE around 8 PM and get the fire stable at whatever temp you plan to cook (if around 270*F on the dome you can plan about an hour/lb) for at least an hour.  Then load the brisket and let it run.  check it in the AM and adjust the temp as needed. 
    If you have a controller as you mention above, then you can run at a lower temp thru the night and audible in the AM.
    And regarding holding, here's a link to a thread about long duration FTC; Foil Towels and Cooler (FTC) for extended duration  (Or your oven on the lowest setting).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • busmania
    edited October 2015
    Options

I am thinking I might go buy a bigger brisket.  That way, I can start it earlier.  I am somewhat worried my 13 pounder might be too small for the group I am feeding.  The hoard of frozen briskets in my freezer is getting ridiculous though and this would just add to that.

Thanks everyone.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    With a full load of lump you can light it at 9pm, let it stabilize and then it will be perfect when you get up at 2 to put it on. Have the brisket prepped and ready to go and you will be back in bed by 215.
    ^^^ this is the best way to salvage your beauty sleep if you're set on putting the meat on at 2.  just start your fire before you go to bed and let it run low and slow until you wake to put the meat on.  trying to hurry to get to a stable temp is a great way to wake to either a 100 degree egg or a 400 degree egg
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    busmania said:

I am thinking I might go buy a bigger brisket.  That way, I can start it earlier.  I am somewhat worried my 13 pounder might be too small.  The hoard of frozen briskets in my freezer is getting ridiculous though and this would just add to that.

Thanks everyone.

@busmainia, I take it you want this for dinner tomorrow?  If you trim the 13 lb brisket it will be around 12 to 11 lbs when done.  At 275 it would be done in about 11 to 12 hours.  So if you put it on at midnight it should be ready around noon.  I have FTC'd one for over 6 hours in a cooler and it was still to hot to touch while cutting.  There are many ways to go.  good luck.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i do what brisket_fanatic said all the time. i light my egg on a friday night and toss the butt in at 4am when im getting the boat started 6 hours later.  most i do when putting the butt in is use the wiggle rod thru the lower vent
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • busmania
    Options
    I am thinking I will pick up a bigger brisket and start it earlier than planned rather than rushing things.  I rushed my last brisket and it was a disaster. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Just start it later in the evening before bed.  Keep it low and slow.  Trust your Eggstincts!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited October 2015
    Options
    guy seems to be ignoring all the sane people who are saying "just start the egg earlier"

not sure why this is not obvious.  putting the meat on at 2am doesn't mean starting the fire at 2am.

i used to start earlier and even throw the meat on, and set temps lower.  this slowed down the cook so that i didn't have to get up at 2am (or whatever).

alternate is to get up in the morning and put in on hotter.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    You should be able to hold your egg at low and slow temp for 18 hours, right?  Just start it earlier and get it nice and stable and then you can put it on whenever you want, right?

Also don't forget that brisket can hold in a cooler for a long time.  Even if it gets done at noon it'll be just fine for a 5pm dinner.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Full your egg up full and light it like others have said at 9pm set and go to bed.  My XL with a full full load would go for ever no worries about running out.
  • busmania
    Options
    guy seems to be ignoring all the sane people who are saying "just start the egg earlier"

not sure why this is not obvious.  putting the meat on at 2am doesn't mean starting the fire at 2am.

i used to start earlier and even throw the meat on, and set temps lower.  this slowed down the cook so that i didn't have to get up at 2am (or whatever).

um yeah...clearly ignored. i did exactly this. i started it at 8 and decided just to put the brisket on early. Glad i did, at 11 hours, temp is stuck at 145. I went 225 overnight, bumped to 275 this morning. My IQ120 would not turn on so this cook hsa been old school, no temp controller.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    busmania said:

um yeah...clearly ignored. i did exactly this. i started it at 8 and decided just to put the brisket on early. Glad i did, at 11 hours, temp is stuck at 145. I went 225 overnight, bumped to 275 this morning. My IQ120 would not turn on so this cook hsa been old school, no temp controller.
    Mine was old school tool and my meat probe wouldn't work. Only had grid temp to work with.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Gotta appreciate the ability to run old school and get great results.  Never know when the electronics decide to quit.  Most eggcellent.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.