Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen instant read digital thermometers vs

Options
im in need of a reliable instant read thermometer for those fast cooks on the grill. A trusted friend and self-proclaimed expert on grilling says that the ThermoWorks Thermapen is the industry standard among pros. It's nearly $100 price tag is steep considering similar knock-offs can be found on Amazon for under $25. In particular, this one: 
Ultra Fast & Accurate, High-Performing Digital Food/Meat Thermometer - Lavatools Javelin/Thermowand (Chipotle) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GRFHXVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_2dX7vb6K8CE55
pis Amazon's #1 best seller with over 1200 reviews, 4.5 stars, and under $25. it also has a 'thermocouple' sensor which is apparently the ThermoWorks big selling point. 
Im a firm believer in buying once and crying once, so I don't mind spending more if there is truly a significant difference. What says the hive?
XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I'm gonna tell you flat out on this forum you're not going to get a lot of support for other thermometers we all use them because they last we're not arguing there expensivebut they very rarely fail. There are guys on here that I've had the same battery for five or six years. I've never had another thermometer even last that long or another way to put it in the big green egg and an acorn are similar. Why did you buy a big green egg
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Can't vouch for the lavatools Brand but the Thermapen and the thermoworks customer service is the best I've dealt with.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    As jstroke said - almost all in this group will tell you to go with the Thermapen.

I will tell you that while I have a lot of Thermowerks gear, including a couple of Thermapens, I have also bought a couple of the Lavatools Javelins in the past few months and just got a Javelin Pro a week or so ago.

The Lavatools are pretty nice. They read as quickly as my Thermapens. The Javelins are a bit smaller (the Javelin Pro is about the same size as a Thermapen) so I find them to be more pocketable. The Javelins (and Javelin Pro) have a magnet in them which I find helpful and I keep one of my Javelins stuck underneath my steel prep table so one is always at hand.

The question of reliability remains to be seen as they are new to the market. Like most electronic stuff , if they're going to fail they'll likely fail in the first few months and Lavatools offers a good warranty.

Personally, if I was buying my first instant read I'd buy the Javelin at $25. Chances are you'll be quite pleased with it. Even if you "upgrade" to a Thermapen later on it is nice to have more than one instant read thermo anyway.

On the other hand the latest Thermapen that was just released last week looks good. I'm glad they switched to using AAA's rather than the battery types used in previous iterations and it is also waterproof and backlit whereas in the past there were separate models - you had to pay more to get a backlit version. If you can part with the $100+ without too much heartburn then by all means get the new Mk4.

At the $25 price point some might suggest getting a Thermopop instead. Personally, I hate my Thermopop and never use it. The digits are too small, the buttons are too stiff, and the probe requires a separate sheath. I'd certainly get the Javelin over the Thermopop.

Thermapens are nice but I think Thermoworks needs to adjust their pricing downwards a bit because they are no longer the only game in town offering a quality, instant read thermo.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Davec433
    Options
    I bought a cheap thermometer at Wegmans for 25 bucks. It takes a couple seconds to settle on a temperature and since it's made of plastic the heat has warped the case it comes in but it still works. I'm not gonna replace it either until it stops working.
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options

Ok, my decision is made.  I ordered the ThermoWorks Thermapen.  No more worries.  Thanks for the input :)

XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You won't regret it.  It should last for years unless you do what mountaindweebass did - leave it in a hot egg too long.
    Options
    The 25$ version from Sur La Table is my choice.   I cal'd it at 'boiling point' and at 'freezing point' so it is probably +-0.5 between those points and NO MORE than 1 degree (always F in this house) to maybe 300F.   I have NO idea how hot it measures, but it is FAST and seems repeatable.   Add accurate and that is the Trifecta of Measurement.    
    My Chickens and roasts do NOT know the difference between this instrument and the 100$ version from the ThermoWorks folks.  
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Begger said:
    The 25$ version from Sur La Table is my choice.   I cal'd it at 'boiling point' and at 'freezing point' so it is probably +-0.5 between those points and NO MORE than 1 degree (always F in this house) to maybe 300F.   I have NO idea how hot it measures, but it is FAST and seems repeatable.   Add accurate and that is the Trifecta of Measurement.    
    My Chickens and roasts do NOT know the difference between this instrument and the 100$ version from the ThermoWorks folks.  
    How fast does this one read?
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    You made good decision.  Thermopen is top of line.... But key that matters is it works...  We used it on egg and in the house...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,781
    Options
    Just ordered 2 of the Mk4 Thermopen. Though I typically have a remote probe in, on the short cooks I generally go by "feel", can't wait to see what this brings to the table. It will be nice to get  an accurate reading that quick
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    And just like magic...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    You won't regret it.  It should last for years unless you do what mountaindweebass did - leave it in a hot egg too long.
    Haven't seen him on here in awhile. ?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL