Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib - First Time

Options
I'm planning to do my first prime rib this coming weekend.  I will be likely trying to follow Myron Mixon's recipe.  Cook is at 250 degrees, and whereas he suggests doing it in a pan, I will probably do it in a pan, but on the V-rack in the XL.  Going to be shooting for a 12 lb. prime rib. 

I have a few questions that I am hoping that everyone can help with:

1. Should I go with a bone in or boneless prime?  I'm on the fence about this one.
  2. I'm planning to tell the butcher to leave any and all fat on it.  I'm guessing that I will need to trim some of the fat off it, but I really don't know what to expect.  Any suggestions on trimming?
  3. At 250 degrees, I am not sure how much cook time to expect per pound.  Any suggestions on that front?  I am going to shoot for medium rare at the center of the prime.
  4. Any suggestions on wood type?  I was planning to use a little hickory, some Georgia peach, and some pecan wood.
  5. Anything else to watch out for?
Thanks to everyone in advance!!!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    1. Should I go with a bone in or boneless prime?  I'm on the fence about this one. Bone in provides more flavor and a built in stand
    2. I'm planning to tell the butcher to leave any and all fat on it.  I'm guessing that I will need to trim some of the fat off it, but I really don't know what to expect.  Any suggestions on trimming Unless you are making a lot of Yorkshire pud, the fat does no good
    3. At 250 degrees, I am not sure how much cook time to expect per pound.  Any suggestions on that front?  I am going to shoot for medium rare at the center of the prime. 40 to 45 minutes
    4. Any suggestions on wood type?  I was planning to use a little hickory, some Georgia peach, and some pecan wood. Oak is great with beef
    5. Anything else to watch out for? Don't overcook

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Here is a great read on prime rib cooks:  And once you get the length greater than the roast radius the cook time is relatively unchanged.  FWIW-
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Here is a great read on prime rib cooks:  And once you get the length greater than the roast radius the cook time is relatively unchanged.  FWIW-
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

You're right Lou but it's length vs. diameter

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• kindaquick
    Options
    Ahh that's great info!  Also, on the wood topic, I was thinking about some oak whiskey barrel in there instead of the peach.  That's probably what I will do.

Since it is beef, I was thinking that I could smoke it pretty heavily without much downfall to doing so.  Any opinions on that?  Can you over-smoke these?
  • Little Steven
    Options

My family doesn't like heavily smoked stuff but I use a lot of oak with beef and they don't complain even a little bit. I've been doing prime rib for many years low and slow because I heard that's how restaurants did them. I usually go at 220* so the 40 to 45 min per pound might be a bit long at 250*. And what @lousubcap said about the length exceeding the diameter is spot on. If you have a bigger roast (4-7 bone) the time will be the same as one that it's equal or less.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I agree on the oak.  I only use 2 fist sized chunks as I like just a bit of smoke flavor with my prime rib. Great link.  Most of my prime ribs are in the 13-15 pound range and all of them are finished right around the 4-4 1/2 mark.  I take them to 120 internal at 250 pit temp.  Them pull the roast, crank up the heat, and reverse sear to around 125.  The roast will rise another 5 degrees or so.  All this talk about egg'd prime rib is making me hungry!!!  It really is a pretty straight forward cook. 
    XL BGE
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    What everyone said is what I do for the most part. 
    I use oak and also put a chunk or two of cherry to give great color.  I cook it at 225ish dome temp till 112 IT (Steaks I go to 108). Then I rest it in an uncovered corning pan for about 5-10 mins while I set egg to about 350-400.   I then tent and cooler it for about 45 mins. Have gone shorter, but I try not to go at least 15, and have gone as long as 2.5 hrs.  (If you need help or more explanation on this ask!). Then get all sides ready for the table.  10 min before everyone sits, I open the vents all the way, pat roast dry, and reverse sear to desired crust.  That gives me a hot crispy roast to carve table side. Crispy outside, juicy and rare on the inside.  The juice released in the resting pan is the best au jus you can get. 

It it is an easy, usually expensive, but great cook.  Pull at the right temp, and you are golden.  

Post pictures of your cook, and let us drool over your work! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • kindaquick
    kindaquick Posts: 30
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the help so far!  That read was really good too, lousubcap.  Perhaps the final question here:

If my setup is going to be Egg @ 250, platesetter legs up with aluminum pan and roast in V-rack set up on top of the grill grid, does this sound about right?  Also, when done, my thought would be to remove the platesetter and crank it up to around 450 to 500 degrees and do the reverse sear direct on a non-raised grill grid.  Does this sound right, or should I do the sear direct heat in the v-rack on top of the grill grid so that it is raised?
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @kindaquick  Your setup sounds fine.  You can do it in or without the roast rack.  If you do it without, put the bones down.  You could sear it either way.  I prefer to let it rest, then get the egg hot, like 375-400, then put it on raised direct, and rotate it so it gets an even sear.  That is just my preference.  If you do it that way, make sure you have long tongs as you will have a fireball.  

This is weekend is the cook?  Pictures I presume?
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • kindaquick
    Options
    Well, I guess that I forgot to post up the pictures to this prime rib cook.  Here they are!  It was fantastic.  Internal was 125.4 degrees right before I did the reverse sear.  Thanks to all for the help!
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Nice job, great looking piece of beef
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Banquet-great cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Money.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX