Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The first Pork Butt I have ever cooked (pics)

Options
I hate to admit this, but I am cooking the first butt I have ever cooked in my life.  It took the BGE and you guys to put me in this position to cook one.

I rubbed it yesterday with a mixture of Meat Church's Honey Hog BBQ and Bacon Rub.  Both my visiting Cajun buddy and I liked the sound of the combination.  It was in the fridge for about 20 hours.  Damn it smelled good even before it went on the egg.

The  9 pounder went in the egg about 7 this morning.  Pretty much been consistent with the grate temp at about 225-240.  I hit the 170  stall at about 7 hours.  About 20 minutes ago I foiled it.  Temp has started to move up.

I couldn't help myself and opened it to take a few pics.  The temp recovered quickly as I only opened it for about 10 seconds.

On the EGG

At about 4 hours

At about 7 hours

Looked even better when I foiled it but I didn't want to take the time for a pic.

Thank you all for the input and very valuable info provided to set me up for this.
Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    What lies ahead is pure goodness. Mmmm!
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    That's a beauty! I'm sure ya'll are going to love it!
    It won't be your last either!  ;)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Won't make mad if that somehow shows up on my table! Awesome cook on one of my favorites!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I'll probably get hazed for asking this, but I've never cooked a pork butt either. Do you ask for "pork butt" at the butcher, or is it called anything else. I apologize for my ignorance. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    @SciAggieDon't know about the others but the label on mine said Butt.

Thank you guys for the encouragement.  But I do have a question now.

At what temp should I pull it while it is in the foil, towel rap it and put it in the cooler? It is sitting at 187 right now.

Dinner time is flexible. BTW I am about as nervous and excited as a long tailed cat on a porch with a bunch of people in rockers.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Thanks @Sonny3
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm right there with ya thanks to all the fine advice on this forum. Did my second butt overnight last night. It's currently in ftc. Sitting here looking at your pics along with the smell of my own cook I nearly can't stand it anymore but swmbo says I have to wait. Anyway, that looks like a killer cook you're having!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @SciAggie, don't worry about apologizing for "ignorance".
    Just remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.  Can't get an answer for that one.
    Great looking cook, BTW.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I'll probably get hazed for asking this, but I've never cooked a pork butt either. Do you ask for "pork butt" at the butcher, or is it called anything else. I apologize for my ignorance. 
    I like the "Boston Butt" cut. The bone is flat and runs through the cut. Others are "picnic" roast. I like the Boston. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    But I do have a question now.

At what temp should I pull it while it is in the foil, towel rap it and put it in the cooler? It is sitting at 187 right now.

Normally for pulling it will be any where from 195-203 or so.  Best test is when it probes like buttah or the bone wiggles free very easily.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Looks awesome!  Gotta post your plated shots too. As far as cuts, the butt and picnic together are the full shoulder. The butt is the upper part, picnic is towards the front leg. What I like about picnic, which I am doing tomorrow :), is normally one side has skin. I cut it off and rub the inside and cook along side the meat. Turns into amazing crispy "cracklin'" oh, mamma. Can't wait to see your finished product!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Sonny3
    Options
    Butt pulled at 194. FTC now. Waiting on wife to get home from shopping. MAYBE!!
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    But I do have a question now.

Normally for pulling it will be any where from 195-203 or so.  Best test is when it probes like buttah or the bone wiggles free very easily.  
    What @Mattman3969 said. 
    I run mine between 200 & 205. Let it set on the counter for 15 to 20 minutes. If you still have time foil it, wrap a towel around it & put it in a cooler for a couple hours  (FTC). The juices will redistribute and it'll pull very nicely. If your outta time you can pull after a 30 minute rest on the counter.
    Enjoy. :)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    That looks great !!!!  I'm sitting at a 163 stall right now, started at 10 AM. When this one is done I'll put a second one on to cook overnight for a party tomorrow. I'm using Meat Church for the first time too, if it tastes half as good as it smells it's going to be amazing !!!!
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    That's a fine looking meal right there !!!!!
  • SciAggie
    Options
    That looks great!
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Options
    Looks awesome with a nice smoke ring too! I bet that was delicious!
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Great looking cook and the entire meal looks great! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Nice job - looks perfect!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Outstanding, my friend! Awesome cook, and great pictures too.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Ah.......Winning! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Perfect! Great looking bark, too!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    I love cooking butts and yours looks AWESOME!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• scottn83
    scottn83 Posts: 117
    Options
    Looks awesome I did my first one a couple of weeks ago and it was great.  I have decided the big green egg has ended my trips to the pizza place and the BBQ pits
    hello all I live in KY Bourbon country so I love my makers, love my egg but still love my wife the most
  • Sonny3
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments and encouragement.  I was really pleased with the way it turned out.  It was much easier than I thought so you can bet Butts will hit my BGE fairly often.  In fact I have a 15 pounder in the fridge that may make its way to the egg next weekend.