Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting big Green egg on a rack behind RV

Options
first time on the forum. I have a medium big green egg, and a large. I am trying to find a way to carry them on the rack behind my RV or behind my jeep.   Not at the same time of course.   Currently my medium rides in the front seat of the RV when we travel, but I'm getting tired of wasting it in and out.   Any suggestions or blueprints on what I could build to carry my medium egg in a cargo rack behind my RV? I have already done some research and would put foam or padding between each of the components to keep them from cracking when going over bumps.   Any feedback, concepts, or ideas welcome. 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Challenger carts sells a travel cart and electric hitch lift. Pricey but very high quality. And you have a table/cart to boot. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Time for mini max. But i understand. So if you are determined. I would build a box with a piano hinge across the bottom and also one for the lid. This way you can open the top and the front to lift in and out.  Secondly i would use both something like ridged foundation foam and foam rubber for all sides and bottom. And lastly i would put in anchors at the bottom--4 of them and use ratchet straps Also a layer of padding between the lid and the base. Make sure there is a plywood divider between eggs--padded--both sides. And find a home for the guts outside the eggs. Too much weight rattling around in there. Personally i would keep it inside and find a home. Maybe under the table or a closet. And strap it down. Or take out the passenger side seat and tell someone to ride in the back. My eggs are usually better company than most people I meet. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy hauls his on the back of his RV.  If he sees this, maybe he can help you out.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I use a harbor freight aluminum cargo thing that fits into the trailer hitch. I ratchet strap my small egg with some foam material under each ceramic piece. Working really well so far over 2k miles.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum