Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked trout

Options
Looking for the best method & recipe for smoked trout.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    dustoff51 said:
    When you find it, please share it with me. Thanks in advance. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited August 2015
    Options
    dustoff51 said:
    I know that you asked for a smoked trout recipe, however if you don't find one to your liking, here is a outstanding way to whip up some trout. We use a slightly altered version of this for shrimp as well. Both are beyond good. If you can't see the words, let me know and I will retake the pic. Hope that you enjoy. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I cooked it en papillote the last time. Excellent
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SGH
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    That's a mighty long word brother, going to have to look it up. 

Status- Standing by.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I've looked into it.  From what I've read sounds like it needs a 1-2 hour brine (salt, sugar, herbs) couple hours dry in the fridge.  Then it can be cold smoked (think lox) or hot smoked until about 140.  Fruitwood, or alder seem to be preference.  I put a 2 pounder whole in the freezer to experiment with. 
  • SGH
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    I put a 2 pounder whole in the freezer to experiment with. 
    Looking forward to seeing it and hearing your thoughts. 

Status- Standing by.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    This video is featured on the very front page of this BGE website. I think's exactly what your looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHyfx9dX420
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    dustoff51 said:
    Hi, Dustoff51,

Can't offer a good answer from your question. Need more info. What kind of trout, a big steel head or a smaller brown. Whole, fillet or steak?

Cold smoke ( hard but possible), hot smoke (pretty hard, needs really good temp control,) or just cooked in the presence of smoke?

What flavors do you like? What will be on the same plate w. the trout? Simpler flavors, just one or two are often the best.

In general, even fresh salmon-like fish benefit from a 10% salt brining. Place the fish in enough water to cover it. Weigh that, then add 10% by weight of canning or kosher salt. Let sit for about 20 min, then drain and pat dry. The fish will come out with a good even texture, moist and flaky.

Don't cook the flesh much above 120F.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Really no recipe for the ones we've done.  Please don't listen to the Bob Ross of BBQ and wrap in "artisanal " bacon...what a Fockstik.

Just tossed them on fresh with lemon, dill, WOC, low and slow until done.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1995/02/seafood-dry-cure-for-salmon-trout-or.html?m=1
    This is what I do. I go the dry cure route. I've had very good luck with this method. 
    NW IOWA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    SGH said:
    Chubbs said:
    That's a mighty long word brother, going to have to look it up. 
    Just don't use your 'merican dictionary. :grin:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I did some steelhead brined overnight (salt, allspice, brown sugar,lemon juice). 200 indirect until flakey. It is delicious, I vac sealed some and it's in the fridge

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario