Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lowest Thermopen price ever

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    No excuses now....
  • A5firearms
    A5firearms Posts: 163
    Options
    Great deal with multiple colors available. Website say limit 5 per customer
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Great price for sure. Between this and the color closeouts that have been occurring fairly frequently lately, I wonder if they have a Thermapen v2 in the works?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    DMW said:
    Great price for sure. Between this and the color closeouts that have been occurring fairly frequently lately, I wonder if they have a Thermapen v2 in the works?
    Either that or they found inventory they didn't know about and are overstocked after their move (remember the moving sale a few months ago?).
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    good timing, the case on my old one is cracked and the display fades in and out now. got two, green and black =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I prefer CDN's thermocouple thermometer.  same basic method but a new one for about same money as the Themopen's open box price, 

http://www.cdnw.com/products/food-service/thermometers/thermocouple

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • HondaHawk
    Options
    Got too agressive just the other day using mine. Damn thing snapped. Good timing. 
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    I have been happy with my thermopops from the last open box sale but this was too good to pass on....
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • TexasCurt
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up!  Bought 2.
    XL and Med Eggs
    SW Houston, TX

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Thanks, just bagged two of them. Makes excellent gifts.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• jollygreenegg
    Options
    Holy crap!  I don't have a thermapen,  but hear about it all the time on this forum.  I checked out the link and was surprised by the $96 price tag!

i own a digital weber brand and it's seems to work okay.

other than the folding probe, what does else does the $96 get you?...
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • Bullhalsey
    Bullhalsey Posts: 108
    Options
    Guys, just bought one myself just hearing about them on this site, can you tell me why they are so much better than the BGE brand one I have?  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Holy crap!  I don't have a thermapen,  but hear about it all the time on this forum.  I checked out the link and was surprised by the $96 price tag!

Accurate and reading in 3 seconds
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

Speed and accuracy.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    The green ones are the fastest, followed closely by red and then blue. Orange is the slowest.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    ^^^ Wrong...
    Orange = Quicker, Stronger, Best Chance 
    Green = Slower, Weaker, Booing Fanbase
     B)     =)    :peace: 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    DMW said:
    My guess is that they will discontinue the regular thermapen and just offer the backlit version. Hard to believe that they could come up with a new and improved version that would be faster.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I have a Cooper Atkins that has a retail price of $32, but you can get it now for $16 on Amazon prime.  Why is the Thermopen better?

It's an honest question.  Mine seems to take temperatures quickly and it's about a fifth of the price.   Am I missing something with this one that I could be getting with the Thermopen?  

Please tell...I've been known to make spurious late night egg purchases!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Interesting, I posted about this hours ago and got no hits, but it is a great deal.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I have a Cooper Atkins that has a retail price of $32, but you can get it now for $16 on Amazon prime.  Why is the Thermopen better?

It's an honest question.  Mine seems to take temperatures quickly and it's about a fifth of the price.   Am I missing something with this one that I could be getting with the Thermopen?  

Can't guarantee this is the only reason but the Thermapen has been around a while and it's highly recommended by a lot of folks in the grilling world. It's quicker than most, and the length helps keep your arm out of the heat. They have great customer service and a two year warranty.  I also have a diff brand that was similarly priced to yours and it stopped working out of the blue after a few months, then magically came back to life....this will be my first thermapen but I have a couple thermapops and I really like them!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

Faster, more accurate, and greater temp range.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    DMW said:
    My guess is that they will discontinue the regular thermapen and just offer the backlit version. Hard to believe that they could come up with a new and improved version that would be faster.
    @FlashkaBob ... I might agree with you, except the backlit version is also on sale for the same $16 differential.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @Chubbs ... I'm shaking a little, but have held out so far.  I just keep mumbling to myself .... one is enough ... one is enough ... one is enough ... one is enough ...

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. Been contemplating getting one, this pushed me over the edge. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    @Chubbs ... I'm shaking a little, but have held out so far.  I just keep mumbling to myself .... one is enough ... one is enough ... one is enough ... one is enough ...
    That's ridiculous.
    NOLA
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Just ordered a red backlit, $88 with shipping  =)
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    I will tell you why the thermapen and thermoworks company are the best - quality of product and the customer service when the need arise...they have been wonderful when I needed to send my pen back and had a repair on it...not to mention the full line of products the company offers for other uses than cooking!!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Interesting, I posted about this hours ago and got no hits

it's all about tone these days...

Phoenix 
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    I just can't justify this with the Thermopop. I'll wait the extra second or two. These guys canibalized their own product. If the pop wasn't so great I would get one of these for sure. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    blasting said:
    Interesting, I posted about this hours ago and got no hits

it's all about tone these days...

@blasting ... I think it's that ugly regionalism rearing it's head again.  See, @Ladeback69 lives in one of those flyover states ... Chubbs, lives in one of those Southern states.  Look at where the preponderance of posters place their posteriors ... yep, Southern state folks.