Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig's Happy Nancy - A Review

Options
OBLIGATORY DISCLAIMER - I bought this rub and received no money or product for this review. 

I ordered a quart of Dizzy Dust from Dizzy Pig's website and noticed they have a new rub - Happy Nancy.  On the bottle, it says they created it for their friend Nancy who is sensitive to chilis and black pepper.  It sounds tailor-made for Wilma!  I picked some up and we decided to give it a try tonight.  I hacked up some chicken leg quarters and got to work.  

I covered them in Tsang's Stir Fry Oil.  The garlic in Tsang's paired well with the garlic in Happy Nancy.  That sounds a little bit dirty!

Here they are on the egg (raised direct at 400).

Time for a cold one!

Here's a sloppy plate shot.  No sauce so we can judge the rub.

Everybody liked it.  No small feat for my daughters who are my most unforgiving critics!  It was very tasty and best of all for me, nobody said, "This is too spicy!"  We will be regular buyers!  Outstanding product!

Thanks for looking.

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Glad you found something for Patty and the girls. I know they are spice adverse. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have never heard of that rub. I may try it. My wife is thinks everything is too spicy or too hot. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Love the Shandy, the yardbird looks delicious as well.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking grub and great review brother Stone. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @johnkitchensgive it a shot.  I can't tell you how many complaints for my food being too spicy I have heard from Wilma and my youngest.
    One time Wilma says, "Boy that is spicy!  What did you use?"
    I replied "Salt and pepper."
    "Yeah, but what else did you use?" she asks.
    "Salt....and....pepper."
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Love the Shandy, the yardbird looks delicious as well.
    Thank you sir!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

SGH said:
    Great looking grub and great review brother Stone. 
    Thanks man.  Shamefully, I haven't posted a cook in some time.   
    Flint, Michigan
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @johnkitchensgive it a shot.  I can't tell you how many complaints for my food being too spicy I have heard from Wilma and my youngest.
    One time Wilma says, "Boy that is spicy!  What did you use?"
    I replied "Salt and pepper."
    "Yeah, but what else did you use?" she asks.
    "Salt....and....pepper."
    IM NOT ALONE!!! 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Shamefully, I haven't posted a cook in some time.   
    Hey it happens. Between work and the chores of everyday life, it gets hard to post sometimes. So I fully understand my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone @johnkitchens @Jeremiah you guys got it tough. One of my youngest son's first meals was chips and salsa. (The one you met, Bob). My wife loves spicy and my oldest is a convert. (He spent too much time listening to his 90 yr old great grandmother as a very young child. He even talked like her  =) of course I'm glad he spent that time, but I digress) I'd have a hard time in your shoes.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am glad you feel my pain Jason. 

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Fred, I am especially happy to hear that your toughest critics enjoyed. Thanks so much for trying, and for sharing your experience. Looks really nicely cooked!
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone @johnkitchens @Jeremiah you guys got it tough. One of my youngest son's first meals was chips and salsa. (The one you met, Bob). My wife loves spicy and my oldest is a convert. (He spent too much time listening to his 90 yr old great grandmother as a very young child. He even talked like her  =) of course I'm glad he spent that time, but I digress) I'd have a hard time in your shoes.
    Thanks Jason!  Yeah, it's tough.  Usually if I want to put some zip in my cook, I have to rely on sauces I add to my own plated food.  I've tried to use a spicy rub on three or four pieces of chicken and keep them separated from the rest, but a couple of times there was a mix up.  It didn't end well and I chickened out using spicy rub unless Patty is eating something else.  That don't happen too often.
    Flint, Michigan
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Fred you sound like me. Me and the kids like Red Eye Express on our steak, but all my wife wants is salt and a little bit of pepper. Otherwise it is too hot. 

It is the same way with chicken etc. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I need to tune down the spice a bit like Fred.  I did at least three levels of Angry Birds after OD-ing on Naga and Bhut Jalokia pepper from this weekend.
    Nice work Bob! You can never go wrong keeping the family happy.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    A bottle of fry oil and a Happy Nancy? That sounds like something you'd pay for at the local rub and tug! 

Seriously, thanks for sharing this. My wife doesn't like anything with a hint of heat.