Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help identify this snake

Options
TigerTony
TigerTony Posts: 1,078
My daughter found three of these snakes in her garden. She is worried that they are poisonous.
If you can help identify, I would appreciate.
"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• motowfo
    motowfo Posts: 32
    Options
    Looks like a brown snake but you may want to check here...

Snakes of Louisiana

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/resource/snakes-louisiana

PS. there are only 7 venomous snakes in Louisiana and this does NOT look like any of them.

Best approach... let it be and let it do it's job hunting rodents and insects!

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I think that is also what it is. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • TigerTony
    Options
    I'm gonna have a hard time convincing my wife and daughter that they are non poisonous.
    I hope you guys are right about being brown harmless snakes.
    They want them dead.
    New Orleans

• Oldshad
    Oldshad Posts: 10
    Options
    Be careful about killing snakes.  It is my understanding there is a hefty fine in Georgia for killing any snake.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    King cobra. You're already dead. You just don't know it
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Yea, brown snake, grandpa used to call them rat snakes.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    motowfo said:
    PS. there are only 7 venomous snakes in Louisiana and this does NOT look like any of them.

I've always thought there were only four venomous snakes in the entire US (rattlers, coral, copperheads and Water moccasins) and had almost posted that  the OP had none of them, but I'm not positive what a copperhead looks like.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    In my book, there's only two kinds of snakes, live ones and dead ones. The only good snake is a dead snake. 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Yep we call them brown corn snakes. Harmless if they do bite. They will poop on you first then they might try and bite.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Sameday
    Sameday Posts: 43
    Options
    Saw this on FB - not sure how accurate it is. 
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    If you kill all the snakes, get ready for a rodent problem.  The best way to get rid of snakes is to eliminate the food sources for their prey....
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Grown men afraid of a snake?

interesting
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Texansurf said:
    If you kill all the snakes, get ready for a rodent problem.  The best way to get rid of snakes is to eliminate the food sources for their prey....
    Never kill a snake, venomous or not.  Catch it and relocate.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• TigerTony
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My daughter lives in Baton Rouge. My sil is out of town so my wife is sleeping over. Two women and a baby. They were working in the garden when they encountered the snakes. Wife and daughter are convinced that the snakes in the yard have triangle shaped heads and are poisonous .  I'm not driving to Baton Rouge to look at the snakes. They decided not to go in the back yard. The snakes are still alive. 
    New Orleans

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Above posters calling them brown snakes seem to be right. See this page. In Iowa it appears they are protected. In general, tho' alarming (nothing like uncovering a nest w 10 or 20: Yikes!), non-venomous snakes are friends. For the past 2 years, I've found garter snakes around my house. Our old kitty died, but once the snakes showed up, neither mice or slugs have been a problem.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Definitely non-viper. Brown would be my guess also. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TigerTony
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Especially @gdenby the picture in the link you sent seems to match. You saved some snakes and my daughter and wife will maybe go in teh yard again. 
    New Orleans

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options

interesting
    I'm a grown man afraid of snakes! But they do serve a purpose, so if not deadly leave them be. If you start finding more of them then you have a rodent problem! Unless of course they are alien blood sucking, human eating robosnakes, then we all have a problem!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

interesting
    You're damn right I am. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

Texansurf said:
    I've got plenty of hawks, owls, and coyotes to take care of rodents. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    ugh, snakes.  I hate snakes.  Not afraid, but they do creep me out, and I will help send them to wherever they go in the afterlife.  Had a rattler waiting for me in the pool skimmer once.

This was posted a while ago, possibly on this forum.  I wouldn't have been so cool about it.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=6E2148EDD8A068AC!2919&cid=6E2148EDD8A068AC&group=0&parId=root&authkey=!ADYoPwXy5fs2veg&o=OneUp

Phoenix 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Coral snake vs king snake mnemonic we were taught as kids. Red touch black, friend of Jack.  Red touch yellow, kill a fellow. 

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Coral snake vs king snake mnemonic we were taught as kids. Red touch black, friend of Jack.  Red touch yellow, kill a fellow. 

Heard this same rhyme only worded slightly different:
    Red to black, venom it lacks. Red to yellow, it kills a fellow.   

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I may not shoot raccoons, but cotton mouths, I have shot over a thousand. I don't kill snakes that I can't identify.
    Options
    I think I'd use Cotton Mouths for target practice, too.    If I understand correctly, they are nasty and territorial.   Not a critter you want near by.  

motowfo said 'only 7 venomous snakes in Louisiana' which absolutely cracks me up.  SEVEN?    Rattler?   CottonMouth?   Coral Snake?    what are the other four?     Do they have Copperheads?
    SEVEN sounds like Quite Enough!
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Interesting thread. Glad I don't live in LA (haha!)

http://1079ishot.com/venomous-snakes-louisiana/

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I don't seek them out but they definitely play their part. Never did understand the "kill 'em all" mentality especially from an informed adult.
    Only creatures that find their place on the kill' em all with extreme prejudice list in my house are rats and cockroaches. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    The snake in the original photo is definitely not a coral snake based on the colors. That leaves the pit viper family (rattlers, copperheads and cottonmouths).  All of these latter ones have a fairly distinct triangle shaped head.  The snake in the photo doesn't have the triangle shape.  We don't have the species in Virginia so I can't say what it is, but I'd say pretty confidently it's not poisonous.   Oh, another way you can tell the pit viper family is they have a slit vs. round pupil, but not many folks are willing to get that close!

I only kill poisonous snakes when there's a high probability of it harming someone.  My dad's beagle almost died of a copperhead bite but he's ok now. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming