Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Given up on the seal

Options
I have fixed my done alignment several times and torqued to the recommended tightness but the dome always moves after a period of time. Smoke leaks slightly out of the front... I think I have given up on correcting it. Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    No problems with my XL.  Sorry to hear you're having ongoing issues.  It must be frustrating!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options

Only time I see smoke out the front is when my stoker fan pulses--never a problem controlling temp, I quit worrying about it

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jollygreenegg
    Options
    You definitely don't want smoke leakage, it'll be harder to control the temp.  Maybe a new gasket is needed.

My XL went out of alignment and I just recently aligned it,  but haven't fired it up since to see if it'll move again.

search alignment on the forum to see my post on it.
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Post a video so we can see how much smoke is escaping.  

My XL also does not leak after 1-1/2 years of use.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited July 2015
    Options
    it doesnt matter if it leaks or not, at most you burn just a little more lump. my eggs have no gaskets and they LEAK. no problems holding temps if you mostly control them with the bottom vent
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Leaking out the front means one of two things or even both. First the planes are slightly out of whack and the rear is sitting down before the front and/or either your dome or base or both have a slight wave. You can check the latter using a straight edge. As for the former here's the trick:

Attempt to figure about how much gap you have there at the front in terms of the thickness of a 25 cent piece then place 1, 2 or 3 quarters stacked on the edge of your base AT THE BACK. Now close your dome and carefully loosen the top band bolt, press down to reset the positioning and tighten. Remove quarters and your plane should be ok. I have only known one person needing 3 quarters 2 is most common.

And my last question - what kind of gasket are you using?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Thanks rrp, it's the stock gasket. I will give the quarter trick a shot. It's getting a little drag on the dollar bill test but not much.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    Thanks rrp, it's the stock gasket. I will give the quarter trick a shot. It's getting a little drag on the dollar bill test but not much.
    In that case the longer your egg leaks then the worst the gap will get since the escaping heat is slowly deteriorating that stock gasket.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.