Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The elusive brisket

Options
Brisket has been one of the most challenging cooks for me. Just when I have a good brisket result, the next one can turn out sub par. So I'm not going to be too confident coming out of last night's attempt, which was by far my best brisket yet. Simple salt and pepper as the rub with oak chunks for smoke. 250 and let her ride until 200 IT (no foil), which took just over 12 hours.  Went FTC for about 2 hours before serving. Pics will surely be out of order. 
Ajax, ON Canada
(XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Very nice. I have one going now that I hope turns out as good. Been in the stall for almost 5 hours. Still at 166. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,394
    Options
    Grab hold of the confidence!  Great cook right there.  Wish I had a brisket cook going.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TheManBehindTheMask
    Options
    lousubcap said:
     Wish I had a brisket cook going.  
    me to
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    Wow that sure looks good!  I love the bend test.

Similarly to what you did above, I used to always put the temperature probe in the thickest part of the point. I would get inconsistent results from cook to cook.  I have had a few good brisket cooks by monitoring the thickest part of the flat instead. While I was thinking the flat was overcooked, it was actually undercooked. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,394
    Options
    Reflecting on the above post-the whole brisket cook is driven by the flat (point is along for the ride).  So, when the thickest part of the flat "probes like buttah" then you are at the finish-line.  And temperature is just a guide for when to start checking-depending on the grade of beef and the personality of the cow it could happen from the low-mid 180's to the low 200's*F.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Reflecting on the above post-the whole brisket cook is driven by the flat (point is along for the ride).  So, when the thickest part of the flat "probes like buttah" then you are at the finish-line.  And temperature is just a guide for when to start checking-depending on the grade of beef and the personality of the cow it could happen from the low-mid 180's to the low 200's*F.  FWIW-

Good point. I'll probe the flat next time. I did of course thermapen the flat in a couple areas to ensure it was all ready. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looking delicious!!  Great cook brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Looking delicious!!  Great cook brother!
    Thank you sir! It was a fun cook. Also nice to get some sleep while the stoker did it's job (this was my first long cook using the stoker). 
    Ajax, ON Canada