Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm Glad I Don't Own a Gasser!

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,030
I saw this walking into Walmart. I had to take a picture after I got done laughing. No matter how many times you try to move the numbers around it still won't make any sense.  Only at Walmart 
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Makes buying Rockwood a great deal!
    McKinney, TX
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Is that for real? Obviously the pic is real, but is that the actual price?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • WeberWho
    edited July 2015
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Definitely real.  I took the picture myself.  A little common sense usually can go a long way but obviously not in this situation :o
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I'm sure whoever changed the price didn't know what they were doing and flipped them because the deposit on one of those propane tanks is around 50 bucks. Still seems real expensive for propane.  I think most places around me are 20 bucks for a refill/ exchange. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The only time I ever use those tank exchanges is when I need a better tank.  ;)
  • WeberWho
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm sure whoever changed the price didn't know what they were doing and flipped them because the deposit on one of those propane tanks is around 50 bucks. Still seems real expensive for propane.  I think most places around me are 20 bucks for a refill/ exchange. 
    Walmart is typically the cheapest around the area for propane exchange. It's always been $17.99 in the past

Minnesota
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    stemc33 said:
    Definitely real.  I took the picture myself.  A little common sense usually can go a long way but obviously not in this situation :o
    I'm glad I got rid of my RV. I few of my neighbors heat their homes with propane. One of them is pushing hard to get the utilities company to expand natural gas to the area. I get it now. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Bought 2 tanks at Costco for $26 a pop and fill them up at Uhaul for $15 a pop.  I would never consider any propane cooker at those prices.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's like a 60 pound tank price.  Anyway, I only use Blue Rhino for exchange when Ace Hardware won't fill my expired tank.
    edited July 2015
    Options
    And don't forget that Blue Rhino only puts 15# in the tank, so the cost is really even higher than that. http://www.orangecoat.com/the-truth-about-filling-20-lb-bbq-grill-propane-tanks, which they finally now admit to blaming rising costs and following the example of other consumer products with a "product content change."
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Yeah that has to be a mistake right?  They are $20ish at the quick-e-mart across the street from my house. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Somebody didn't know any better.  You don't get a whole lot of smarts when you don't pay healthcare and pay minimum wage.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Wow! Even  filling the food truck is 50-60.00. And that is 2 100lbs tanks.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited July 2015
    Options

And don't forget that Blue Rhino only puts 15# in the tank, so the cost is really even higher than that. http://www.orangecoat.com/the-truth-about-filling-20-lb-bbq-grill-propane-tanks, which they finally now admit to blaming rising costs and following the example of other consumer products with a "product content change."

Around here, the best place to get them filled is the Uhaul store or the other places with their own big tank.

I never really cared since I only used it for my weed burner (filled it once a year.)  Now that I have the Blackstone griddle, I'll get it filled somewhere rather than exchanging.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Cheapest here is tractor supply surprisingly. $11 just last Saturday. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    @HofstraJet  everyone is only supposed to put in about 15# in a standard tank or filled to roughly 80% for expansion room in heat etc.  I used to fill the tanks as a teenage job and the pump would shutoff when it reached the set pressure. Blue rhino maybe cheating you out of 1# since 16# would be to 80% full.  We measured and charged  by the gallon, 4 ish gallons in a 5 gallon tank.

Another problem is air getting into the tank and the tank reaching max pressure the machine can pump before much propane gets in the tank!  I figure the big companies vacuum the tanks and then refill, but we couldn't do that at the station I worked and some "empty" tanks would only take a gallon.
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• WeberWho
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Cheapest here is tractor supply surprisingly. $11 just last Saturday. 
    @Jeremiah exchange or fill?  I need to get a replacement for my weed burner

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    $14.50 at Academy Sports for exchange.  Just saw the sign tonight.
    Options
    Fill. But they sell them too. They price filling by the gallon not by weight. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Fill. But they sell them too. They price filling by the gallon not by weight. 
    Thanks!

Minnesota
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options

This was last night at my local walmart
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum