Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Chicken Skewers...Time & Temp?

Options
AmyNC
AmyNC Posts: 4
I have six marinated (bbq sauce) chicken breast that I cut into 1/2 inch thick long strips that I plan to put on bamboo skewers.  I've never made these and I'm worried I might end up with dried-up & charred chicken strips.  Any advice on temp and cook time would be truly appreciated!  Thank you and happy 4th y'all!

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just remember that sauce burns really easy. 
    I always brine chicken to help it stay moist.
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    In 2 quarts water.
    On those strips about 30 min should work.

If you start out with sauce on the strips you really need to watch for burning of the sauce. Luckily the strips a thin and will cook fast.

Next time I would try brining first and saucing to finish. Its not to late to brine the chicken you have now.

I wish I could be specific on the time and the temp, but the sauce being on at the start of the cook concerns me. 
  • AmyNC
    AmyNC Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks Greg, great advice!  Would you say around 275/300 for temp?
  • GregW
    Options
    Yes, I would try that
  • GregW
    Options
    How did they turn out?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Chicken skewers are basically souvlaki, I like 400 - 450º rasied direct and like @GregW said - use the sauce to finish. Get some nice char marks and then use a BBQ sauce to finish or just heat the sauce and por over the finshed skewers. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!