Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kinda OT. Service. Is it that hard?

Options
snoqualmiesmoker
snoqualmiesmoker Posts: 265
edited July 2015 in Off Topic
Last week I purchased a product from a company, and they kindly included a coupon for free shipping and a percentage off the purchase of another product of theirs which led me to want to buy that new product.  Well i enter their magic code and it doesn't work.  It only gives me the partial discount (free shipping).  so I send them an email.  And wait.  5 days later i send another email, attaching my original.  Silence.  Hmmmmm.  Today I turn on my social media and wow, there's a post from this company!  Amazing.  They either have a social media person who doesn't have access to company email (not a surprise), or they just ignore an email.  So i hit up the social media person.  They offer to help.  Sweet!  I explain the situation.  They give me a new code, with the explanation that their "new" site doesn't combine offers anymore.  I assumed this was because i was trying to get two different products now.   But after a few hours of thinking I figured it out.  Can't have both discounts.  Which would be fine, i guess, if it was an old box i bought not one packed in the middle of June and sent to the store i purchased it at.  Or it was posted on the "new" website.  So I'm assuming you either can't rewrite your directions, own a sharpie to cross out said coupon, or launched the "new" site after my box got packed.  Either way its all annoying.  Because I was going to buy several products from you.  
So how about you don't include coupons that don't work and frustrate your potential long term customer, you kindly respond to emails (hey we all get busy but a week of silence after 2 emails?), or you just say whoops and offer to make things right.  Why?  Because now I'm irritated and on blast to a giant network of potential users, even though I won't name names.  
Yes this is trivial, as we go to celebrate our nations birthday.  But i was annoyed.  
Is it that hard?

The end.  

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Names, or it didn't happen!  =)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Good rant!
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Definite first world problem you have there bud.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I find the phone is a good thing for these kinds of issues.  And I know of a company mentioned here where their software will not let you redeem more than one promo code per order.  Of course the people you talk with can't override it either.  Modern technology...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I find the phone is a good thing for these kinds of issues.  And I know of a company mentioned here where their software will not let you redeem more than one promo code per order.  Of course the people you talk with can't override it either.  Modern technology...
    When talking to a phone customer support rep, I always try to be patient and polite (not suggesting that you're not); keeping in mind that they're usually on a pretty short lease. I won't waste too much time before asking to speak with a supervisor where, in my experience, you are more often than not able to get something done.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Too long; didn't read. 

Kidding. I'm firmly convinced that any company with half way decent service in any field will be successful. Two examples that come to mind are Quick Trip gas stations and Chick Fil A. Both have superior service and both are always packed. Coincidence??
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    A couple of years ago, I bought a Fluke infrared meter from Davis Instruments.  Had a % off coupon and a free shipping coupon.  When, like you, I couldn't get the website to accept both, I called their customer service number.  The gal who picked up explained in one sentence: "We only honor one coupon per order, but let me override that for you."  I moved up from being a happy customer to being a thrilled customer.

I'm firmly convinced that a phone call is the best option when things don't seem right ... good companies answer the phone.  And, my loyalty goes to the company that treats me well ... those who don't treat me well, probably don't treat others well, and won't be around for the stretch.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I find that I'm quicker to boycott these days.  However, I won't boycott a whole company because of one bad employee.  If you felt the company did you wrong, I wouldn't hesitate to make it public.  

Lots of great companies still out there...

Ceramic Grill Store, Thermoworks, and BGE themselves - Gotta praise the good guys!
    Phoenix