Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new Komodo Kamado

Options
Tinyfish
Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
My XL got a new friend its a Komodo Kamado.  I haven't posted in a while since my XL been neglected since getting my new grill.  Here is a link to a photo shoot showing the uncrating pictures if your interested http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/21051-uncrating-of-a-23-komodo-kamado-in-toronto-very-pic-heavy/.  Here is what it looks like it is a bronze metallic colour 

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Super fancy!!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Congrats man. Not my thing style wise but for using it looks like a fantastic cooking machine
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Those things are over the top. Congratulations! 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Friend of mine got one and I cooked on it to show him the ropes.  Very nice!
    Options
    That is a ass kicking machine for sure!! Enjoy it my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    You need to get ya a nice pimp chalice to go with that sucker!
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    Just got sized for my fur coat...

It also doubles as a disco ball at night
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    Just got sized for my fur coat...

It also doubles as a disco ball at night
    I wanna be baller, shot caller...   =)

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    @spaightlabs I wish I was taller...@tinyfish ..even a built in "nest"..can I ask what you paid for it? does all of the accessories come with it? Even has its own K.A.B.

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• EggPerfection
    Options
    That really is just so pretty, or handsome, or stunning.  It's quite something man.  SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
    Best - Jack
  • Smokeysmokerson
    Options
    Yes how do they compare to a large egg in price?
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Now that is a hinge.  I bet you have no alignment issues at all. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Yes how do they compare to a large egg in price?
    Much more expensive. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited July 2015
    Options
    4Runner said:
    I wonder what purpose that other small door and knob serves to the right of the main vent.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Asking about $$, no clue-It is an easy order of magnitude above most BGE's-and is up with the XXL.  In the car world it would be like going from a 911 to a Ferrari-of course I have not been orbiting in that sphere.  Give google a go-
    And I applaud anyone who is able to have and enjoy such a cooker.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Like the tile colour, but where are the pipes on that hooka?
    Have only ever seen one in the flesh and it was very impressive, tall and heavy. 5 LBGEs sitting there. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    It comes with everything you see except cover and the rotisserie basket/cradle.

The cost compared to an XL BGE in Canadian $ is double plus a little. They are not cheap to say the least.  They are two different products here is a shot of the construction,  the solid mass is the refractory cement (2200f rating) the pebble type of material is the vermiculite insulation then the elastomeric grout and tile.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I bow down to you brother! To say Im a little jealous is a understatement. Some day when I'm rich like you I WILL own one.

seariously though congrats!
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    4Runner said:
    No hinge issues, the bands are set into the cement.  The dome weigh like 150 lbs and moves effortlessly due to that huge hinge.
    RRP said:
    4Runner said:
    I wonder what purpose that other small door and knob serves to the right of the main vent.
    That is a built in BBQ Guru port,  it has the sleeve set in the cement.  I like the fact it can do a rotisserie cook.

• Tinyfish
    Options
    I bow down to you brother! To say Im a little jealous is a understatement. Some day when I'm rich like you I WILL own one.

seariously though congrats!
    Thanks.  But I'm far from rich.   We can reason things anyway we want and I just felt  the quality and features compared to the price was worth it in my mind.  I researched everything I could find about Komodos and their was nothing bad but you are paying for that type of quality.

When cooking you can rest your hands on the dome for as long as you like. I had it at 400f for 2.5 hours and it was cool to the touch.
  • RRP
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Your unit looks beautiful and you should be proud! Obviously you dropped some bucks for a proven quality product!

I learned a new word tonight...elastomeric. I see that is the flexible material that keeps the tiles in place and allows movement when hot. I know a father & son who bought a couple cheapie knockoff tiled versions from CA and their tiles popped off like pop-corn! In their case they got no where with their limited warranty and eventually bought BGEs.
    BTW being a gasket guy it appears the base gasket is some form of rubber. Right? Also does it also have a matching gasket in the dome?  
  • Smokeysmokerson
    Options
    Besides the cool to the touch, how else is it superior?  Just curious
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Thanks.  But I'm far from rich.   
     They say that you can gauge a mans money by the toys that he has ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Smokeysmokerson
    Options
    Nevermind just read on their website cool stuff
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That is so badass. I want one so bad. One of these years when/if I blow it out at the coal mine...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Sweet, Im all jelly. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thank you for sharing. Your unit looks beautiful and you should be proud! Obviously you dropped some bucks for a proven quality product!

I learned a new word tonight...elastomeric. I see that is the flexible material that keeps the tiles in place and allows movement when hot. I know a father & son who bought a couple cheapie knockoff tiled versions from CA and their tiles popped off like pop-corn! In their case they got no where with their limited warranty and eventually bought BGEs.
    BTW being a gasket guy it appears the base gasket is some form of rubber. Right? Also does it also have a matching gasket in the dome?  
    The bottom gasket is food grade silcone, the dome and base mating surface is not flat they lock into each other if thats makes sence.  The top gasket is a thick rope type of gasket.  
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Congratulations! Those are certinly the best of the best!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• RRP
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just wondering out loud. I know we are diehard eggers, but then a Viking is a cool looking stainless steel clad Primo and sells for about $3K last I knew and I believe this puppy is about twice that price and even nicer looking!  I wonder how all 3 do comparison wise over the long term of ownership. IOW if a guy is young enough and can afford the outlay then over 10, 15, 20 or more years I wonder how it all works out money wise. I realize warranty honorship is a major unknown, but it's food for thought!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I hate you! :smiley: Very nice
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL