Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max Help/Tips

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
I picked up a Mini Max yesterday and I am interested in learning a few tips. I've passively read some on the MM threads, but mostly just looked at the pics. Sometimes searching for the wanted/needed information is cumbersome. Please list some tips or post links of your threads to help me out. 

I only have the MM. The Dealer didn't have a PS. Any information from lighting, using, or making a make shift indirect shield to a homemade ash removal tool( I think the one I have won't fit) would be great. 

Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    You'll find you'll rarely use the DFMT. I'd forgo the PS and just jump straight to the WOO pkg with stone and deflector plus I think it comes with a pan too. Ash removal?  I have the KAB but, even before that I'd give it a quick stir and once in a while shop vac it all out. Light it like normal.  Play around with temp and controling it.  Enjoy it man. Congrats
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Agree with Blake. Rarely cook with top on. I find it wants to get hot with less gap on bottom than the large. I skipped PS and went with woo and stone. 

Its so short you can pull woo and sweep ash out the door with about anything. 

Play at with setting because it's different. Have fun. 
  • stemc33
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL, do you do anything special when traveling with it like shim with wedges or something?  I guessing if you do, it's probably wood or something similar. I'll probably be transporting it warm when we do day trips. Also, I think I seen a picture of yours with some sort of feet. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Transporting I use an expandable bar to secure it in the bed of the truck. The rubber feet give it better bite on slick surfaces.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Real happy with:
    High-Que, Woo (get stone and not PS), Lodge 9" flat CI, Woks, and an extra 10' grid for putting on the lower (spider) part of Woo to cook close to lump.
    ... I have never used/put on the daisy wheel (somewhere in garage) as it is not needed.
    ....Cardboard works very well to insulate the guts of Egg when traveling. Just stick inside and between peaces.
    ....Buddy you are going to enjoy it. Lights real quick.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    OT: Steven thanks once more for the guide service.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stemc33
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks @Mickey, hopefully I was able to help. Did you end up exiting the park through the Gardner gate.  My MM came with the felt attached to the top vent. I never put the felt on my large. Should I leave it? Just seem like it's gonna get gummed up. I think I seen a post from @RRP a year ago where he placed the felt inside the ceramic cap. 

I'm sure I'll have a million more questions. 

That pic is awesome 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mickey
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Thanks @Mickey, hopefully I was able to help. Did you end up exiting the park through the Gardner gate.  My MM came with the felt attached to the top vent. I never put the felt on my large. Should I leave it? Just seem like it's gonna get gummed up. I think I seen a post from @RRP a year ago where he placed the felt inside the ceramic cap. 

I'm sure I'll have a million more questions. 

That pic is awesome 
    No on Gardner as lots was still snow blocked and left at West Yellowstone to Glacier. 
    I would pull the felt for just what you said. Do you still have my phone number?

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    How long will a full load of lump take you on @ 275 (or so) for a long cook like a butt?

Does a temp control device work on a MM or is the egg too small?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    +1 on hi que 

and the factory rubber feet suck. One trip and they're all to crap. 

Also on that trip, just threw it in the back and jammed it up so it didn't move around. Large rode home the same way. 

Maybe be I was lucky, but no harm. Not sure I'd do that if it were real warm.