Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not exactly Ozark Oak but all things considered......

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Not so long ago, Ozark Oak sadly became unavailable. For the record and clarity, OO along with Rockwood were my personal favorites. With supplies of OO drying up rapidly, I have been on the lookout for something else to use once all reserves are diminished. As luck would have it, I found the lump below. Let me say up up front that it's not the full equal of OO, but for the money it is fantastic. Upon first lighting, it has a very sweet smell but it quickly diminishes. It seems to burn real clean with minimal fuss. Again, it's not the full equivalent of neither OO nor RW, but at less than 50 cents a pound it's far better than Royal Oak. Thus far I have only done a couple of small direct cooks so it would be hard to give a full review at this point. However just basing its performance off of what I have seen so far, I'm pleased overall with it. All the pieces are nice size with minimal shake. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Where'd you get this @SGH?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    Nice find. I recently got a bag of central market lump, which is an heb brand in Texas. 20 lbs for only 12 bucks and it rocks. I filled my large to the top of the fire ring for a brisket cook and after 15 hours from light to closing it down and then another indirect cook at 400 for an hour and half light to close and the lump is still above the firebox. 
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    What terrible lump. I get a rock or two, but a stopwatch!?!?!?!

At least it works  ;)
    I hear ya buddy. The stopwatch was for size comparison. I do wish that each bag came with a stopwatch though.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Where'd you get this @SGH?
    I found it at Winn Dixie brother tar. It's honestly pretty good for the money. It will startle you at first as it smells like burning sugar (very sweet) for a few minutes. This quickly subsides though.  

Status- Standing by.

• fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Full Circle is private label or store brand for many chains. It is supplied by Topco. I do not know who is producing it for them. 
  • SGH
    Options
    fruitguy said:
    Full Circle is private label or store brand for many chains. It is supplied by Topco. I do not know who is producing it for them. 
    I do not know who produces it either. But whomever they are, they do a pretty good job. Going to try it on a long indirect cook tonight to put it to the real test. 

Status- Standing by.

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I've been using a lot of KJ red bag lately.  Looks like a good find though
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SGH
    Options
    The KJ is actually pretty good as well. But as of late it has got quite pricey in my area. A year ago it was very affordable.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Nice find...and the price is great.
    Will have to keep my eyes open when we travel your way.

Every Winn Dixie down here has it as well as the Rouses in Biloxi at the corner of Lorraine Cowan and Pass road. 

Status- Standing by.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Gotta love the RO haters. This stuff is "far better than RO"! Except the Whiz says...

"In our Quick Stats section, we say that the country of origin and type of wood is unknown, but we thought we would allow ourselves a bit of speculative luxury and suggest that this charcoal MAY be manufactured by Royal Oak. The following was printed on the bag:

"

:rofl: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    SGH said:
    The KJ is actually pretty good as well. But as of late it has got quite pricey in my area. A year ago it was very affordable.  
    I stock up when Costco sellers it.  Normally 2 bags for $29
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SGH
    Options
    I stock up when Costco sellers it.  Normally 2 bags for $29
    Unfortunately I do not have a Costco in my area. Sure wish that we did.  

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    my Costco has 40 lb bags of Cowboy, lucky me
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    @Photo Egg That's not even right!  You could eat off your garage floor!!!  That's the cleanest and most clutter free garage I've seen in a looooooonnnng time.  Nice bike by the way
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Parkersquared
    Options
    I will have to pick some up and try it. 
    Wiggins, MS
  • SGH
    Options
    I will have to pick some up and try it. 
    If you do, let us know what you think. Thus far, I have been pretty satisfied especially when you factor in the price. 

Status- Standing by.

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Legume said:
    Have you tried it?  Better or worse than RO?  Now that Ozark Oak is gone I'm in the market for a new charcoal and I'm not a fan of RO so far.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I tried a bag of cowboy maybe 18 months ago when I first got my egg.  It was like the fourth of July, so many sparks shooting out, popping, cracking.  I hated it because I was afraid of it.  I honestly can't remember if it was as sooty or smokey as what I've heard, I had nothing really to compare it to.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    SGH said:
    Unfortunately I do not have a Costco in my area. Sure wish that we did.  
    @SGH  after seeing the way you eat I'm surprised you don't have a Costco in your pantry. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    @SGH concerned about price? What is the world coming to?!
  • SGH
    Options
    Actually it's not about the price. Not at all my friend. I have never minded paying top price for top quality. But this being a elcheapo brand, you would expect it to suck like Royal Oak. However it is a surprisingly decent lump. I still give Rockwood the thumbs up. However sometimes we all get caught in a jam and are out of our premium lump. This makes for a good back up in a pinch. It lacks the sooty taste that RO is known and famous for. In my area we are very limited on lump that is available in a reasonable driving distance. The choices are usually RO and assorted store brands. I much prefer this one over the RO. Rockwood will always be my go to lump as long as it's available. But sometimes I'm out and have to improvise. Not often, but it does happen.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    jimithing said:
    Legume said:
    Have you tried it?  Better or worse than RO?  Now that Ozark Oak is gone I'm in the market for a new charcoal and I'm not a fan of RO so far.
    Cowboy and RO are equally crappy. Look for alternatives my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @Photo Egg you should send those beer pics to yuengling, they put them on Facebook for smuggler of the month. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Glad I don't have to "smuggle" Yuengling. Brewery is only an hour away from me.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    @SGH I should mail you a bag of Maple Leaf Lump. That's all I use. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    SGH said:
    Actually it's not about the price. Not at all my friend. I have never minded paying top price for top quality. But this being a elcheapo brand, you would expect it to suck like Royal Oak. However it is a surprisingly decent lump. I still give Rockwood the thumbs up. However sometimes we all get caught in a jam and are out of our premium lump. This makes for a good back up in a pinch. It lacks the sooty taste that RO is known and famous for. In my area we are very limited on lump that is available in a reasonable driving distance. The choices are usually RO and assorted store brands. I much prefer this one over the RO. Rockwood will always be my go to lump as long as it's available. But sometimes I'm out and have to improvise. Not often, but it does happen.  
    Out of Rockwood? That's blasphemy my  friend!