Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

12# of guava wood now resting on the mainland!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
My recent order from HI showed up today. It's a nice mild smoking wood.

Link: http://www.hawaiiguava.com/guava-smoking-wood.html

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    Neat! What does it compare to?
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • RRP
    Options
    Neat! What does it compare to?
    Honest - I can't give you a comparison, but the smoke itself has a sweet smell to it. As for the taste it imparts on meat it is mild like apple is but it doesn't taste like apple! And it's not even as strong as pecan which personally I think is also a mild taste producer. At $29 for 12 pounds it sounds pricey but $11 of that cost is the medium flat rate USPO Priority mail cost so $18 for 12 pounds doesn't seem all that bad if you were buying chunks of wood at your local BBQ supply store. My advice is if you prefer strong smoke like your mesquite down there in TX, or heavy hickory or oak then guava is too tame for you. Like I said last week I think guava is a good choice for someone who wants some smoke taste, but doesn't want to mask the meat taste underneath.  
  • mwatts
    mwatts Posts: 122
    Options
    Why is it whenever you post something @RRP, I feel like I have to try it. Thanks for the interesting post and ideas. 
    Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    Options
    Ron, what meats do you use it with? 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    Options
    mwatts said:
    Why is it whenever you post something @RRP, I feel like I have to try it. Thanks for the interesting post and ideas. 
    Thanks...I think. I just like to share my eggperiences with folks. I realize I'm running the risk of being hated and burned in effigy in a BGE, but so be it! LOL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    RRP said:
    mwatts said:
    Thanks...I think. I just like to share my eggperiences with folks. I realize I'm running the risk of being hated and burned in effigy in a BGE, but so be it! LOL
    You would probably have to be rubbed down with Dukes mayo before the burning. 

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    edited May 2015
    Options

Last Sunday I used my last chunks on a spare rib, but normally I reserved a couple chunks at a time for chicken which seems to handle the subtle guava smoke well. OTOH if you rub your chicken with something heavy you may not tell the difference other than what smoke does normally show up in the taste of the skin. I kinda wish now I would have suggested people organize a group buy to be split. Anyone with a wife or children who gag at smoke might like it! Besides guava might be your way to wean the family into smoked meats...wink Wink WINK! LOL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    RRP said:

Last Sunday I used my last chunks on a spare rib, but normally I reserved a couple chunks at a time for chicken which seems to handle the subtle guava smoke well. OTOH if you rub your chicken with something heavy you may not tell the difference other than what smoke does normally show up in the taste of the skin. I kinda wish now I would have suggested people organize a group buy to be split. Anyone with a wife or children who gag at smoke might like it! Besides guava might be your way to wean the family into smoked meats...wink Wink WINK! LOL
    When will my spending on the BGE end? Now there is another direction for me to OCD. Guava wood smoke. Two more weeks of Therapy! Thanks Ron.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @RRP ... okay, I can't bit my tongue any longer.  The irony is killing me.  You special order a "it is mild like apple is but it doesn't taste like apple" box of smokewood from off the continent at a cost of almost $3 a pound.  And, then you stock pile Royal Oak to use for most of your cooks.

At the risk of being pummeled with an ash tool at next Saturday's Egg Fest, those two simply don't go together ... do they?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    Options
    Here was my first box bought 12 years ago and this is only my second box so it's not like it's my go to wood, but I keep it for special occasions for something different. BTW it's a pretty wood and a hard wood. 

• Smokehouse33
    Smokehouse33 Posts: 185
    Options
    It's great for pork! When we do whole pigs we use guava wood...it gives it a nice touch...
  • platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yep, I was thinking pork chops with a light dusting of DP Raging River and some guava smoke magic, or chicken with DP-whatever-I'm-in-the-mood-for and guava.

BTW @RRP I use Ozark Oak usually by itself, have never even tried mesquite for smoke yet. I have used cherry.
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    have not ordered from guava greg in along time, really good on fish, and i like it mixed with a small amount of cherry for ribs sometimes. he should post here again, probably increase sales big time. i think i still have a couple chunks as well, time for a reorder
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it