Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how do I use a lodge 5qt Dutch oven in the BGE?

Options
mkmkmk
mkmkmk Posts: 6

Hello everyone,  

I'm looking for some general idea on how to cook  a whole chicken in this? I've seen some videos where the guy just puts some coals under and over the covered dutch oven and cooks it at a really low temp for 3-4 hours?  

What do you guys suggest for a temperature and time.? My biggest issue is not being able to monitor the chickens temp with the lid on.

any suggestions or recipes would be helpful. 
Thanks 

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I think @nolaegghead does a ci chicken. Someone will be along shortly. Google ...big green egg cast iron chicken. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Chili, chicken, frying, carnitas, gumbo. I could continue, but you get the picture. Nice score. Not at all what u asked , but future ideas. Just use inter web and adapt to egg. Usually cooks a bit faster in an egg due to moist enviroent. 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    There are Dutch ovens designed to be set in and covered with coals. The one in your photo is not. Use it raised direct or indirect for chili, beans, soup, stew, braising, etc. I roast Brussels sprouts in mine so they don't stink up the house!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    The first thing you do after seasoning is to christen it with a pineapple up side down cake. Be that said if you share it with friends they will want it ever time you cook on the egg. Really winner on the egg. The lump gives just a better flavor profile than done in the oven. 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • mkmkmk
    mkmkmk Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone and thanks for the heads up cookinbob 

I think I'm going to experiment with it for a while till I get it right.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @mkmkmk   I was given one of these given to me a couple weeks ago, and have been wondering the same thing.  I've seasoned the heck out of it, and looking to put it in action.   Every time I go to use it, I figure one of my other pieces would work better.

Phoenix 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    edited May 2015
    Options
    In a dutch oven, the chicken is going to roast and steam. Use the dome temperature as a guide, at 350f a two lb. bird will take about 40 minutes. An "oven stuffer" could take two hours.
    Hard to overcook with all that fluid in there, lowering the temperature inside the dutch.  I like to set it on top of a couple of potatoes with carrots in between - anything to keep the back of the bird off the bottom and out of the liquid.

The other side of the lid has little iron points, like stalactites in a cave. This will cause liquid to drip all over the outside of your bird, further cooling it.

You're going to have to lift the lid and stick the thigh after the first 40 minutes. As you get closer to 165f adjust your timing.

Don't forget to let it rest - but don't pull it early - 180f is recommended for chicken.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I really suggest you cook the chicken in the lid, not the oven. DOs are great for stewing - but hold too much moisture for roasting, the skin will be rubbery. If you have the Lodge CI cookbook, check out Skillet Roast Chicken. 

As @Cookinbob said, Camp Dutch Ovens have feet to create space for briquettes and have a flat lid for briquettes. I have the 5qt you picture, use it for chill and soups, the lid gets used for sears and roasting or brats or ....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!