Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got back from Louisiana

Options
MaC122
MaC122 Posts: 797
First time having crawfish.  Way too much of a pain in the ass!
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• MaC122
    Options

sigh.... I took the pic normal on the iPhone...sorry

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    @MaC122
    there's a method to eating them....they're no PITA if you have your flow down right :)
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    First time having crawfish.  Way too much of a pain in the ass!
    That's just cause you didn't know what you were doing!!! I can eat 1 in 2 seconds flat including sucking the head.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    YOu only need to peel the first vertebrae (or whatever those layers of the shells are called) then you can pinch the tail and take the meat out with your teeth
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Are you saying prepping/cooking is a PITA? Or consuming?  Good Lawd those look mighty fine!   Yes Sir 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Love mud bugs.  Easy to eat, but need a southerner to show you the tricks.

jist is pinch tail and suck head
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Man, I'm just a hillbilly from NGA, but is plow thru those things. I'm willing to put in a little work for those mud bugs. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Are you saying prepping/cooking is a PITA? Or consuming?  Good Lawd those look mighty fine!   Yes Sir 
    If he's not at a restaurant then his friends robbed one to make that table up!
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    My favorite meal.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MaC122,

Once you learn to peel / eat them properly, you will enjoy them.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    YOu only need to peel the first vertebrae (or whatever those layers of the shells are called) then you can pinch the tail and take the meat out with your teeth
    You're doing it wrong.  If they're cooked correctly, you don't even need to peel the shells.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
     I can eat 1 in 2 seconds flat including sucking the head.
    I got to ask brother grim, why does it take you so long to eat one? I can eat a small pork butt in that amount of time ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• LiveToEat
    LiveToEat Posts: 26
    Options
    Mac...oh man you are missing out!  Boiled a couple sacks this weekend and only thing that would make it better is if I was using my BGE to cook!  Maybe it was the beer you were drinking (shown in your pic)...next time pair your crawfish with Shiner, St. Arnold's or perhaps Sam Adams. 
    April 2015 XL ... My Eggsperience has just begun!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @MaC122 - Great looking bugs. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    LiveToEat said:
    Mac...oh man you are missing out!  Boiled a couple sacks this weekend and only thing that would make it better is if I was using my BGE to cook!  Maybe it was the beer you were drinking (shown in your pic)...next time pair your crawfish with Shiner, St. Arnold's or perhaps Sam Adams.

Dixie, Abita, Bayou Teche, Parish, Tin Roof, NOLA, and Covington all make better beers for crawfish.
    NOLA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You're right, they're a pain in the ass.  More for me  :)
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Next time you fly me down and I'll show you for nothing how fast they can disappear. But I don't eat the corn and pots. they just get in the way and take room up on the plate. And I don't drink beer so it should be a cheap trip for you.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • LiveToEat
    LiveToEat Posts: 26
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    LiveToEat said:

Dixie, Abita, Bayou Teche, Parish, Tin Roof, NOLA, and Covington all make better beers for crawfish.
    I'm in Texas, you're most likely in Louisiana (my second favorite place to be!) and I agree with you! Was just there for Mother's Day and had one of the fine selections you list with BIL's crawfish. Also got my fix for Central Grocery Muffaletta, D'Martinos PoBoys and Cafe Du Monde beignets and coffee! 
    April 2015 XL ... My Eggsperience has just begun!
  • MaC122
    Options
    So this was at a restaurant. They told me to push the tail into the head, twist and pull it off. Suck the head and then peel off the top two shell things and push the tail meat out. The pain was getting the meat out of the tail.