Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight Costco Bone-In Pork Butt

Options
EggDan
EggDan Posts: 174
A continuation of a thread a few weeks ago:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180637/costco-bone-in-boston-butt-ot

Started the Egg at 10:30 PM with a 2-1 ratio of Pecan and Apple chunks.  I prepped two 7 pound Bone-In Pork Butt's from Costco.  One (left side throughout the cook) with Dizzy Dust and the other one (right side) with the Renowned Mr. Brown.  This was the first time that I have cooked a Costco Pork Butt, and I had to tie one of them due it being relatively flat.  I think it would have fallen apart during the cook if it was not tied.  

Drink of the night / day:  Maker's 46.  

The Egg settled in nicely at 250 degrees for an extended period of time, and the meat was placed onto the smoker at midnight.  As expected the temperature dropped to around 235 degrees due to the cold meat, but I decided to ignore it and go to bed.  About 15 minutes later the Maverick warned me that the temperature had dropped below 225.  After tweaking the bottom door, I was able to sleep for the rest of the night.  

Eight hours in, the temperature was approaching 170 degrees.  I ended up pulling both Butts at 1:30 PM at an internal temperature of 197.  Surprisingly, both of the Butts were on the same schedule.  I snapped a picture of the lump that I had left over as I probably could have gone another 8 hours if needed.     

After making probably a dozen Pork Butts on a Weber Smokey Mountain, this was the first one that I have made on the Egg.  I have had access to <$4 a pound Prime Packer Briskets and I have been taking advantage of it.  Without a water pan, I feel that the Pork developed a more complex bark and that it finished a few hours sooner.  The timing could be purely a coincidence.  

For dessert we cooked up S'mores, which is very easy to do on the Egg.  

Overall, I give the Costco pork a "B" grade.  Although it tasted very good, it took some extra prep time to shape one of the cuts.  I will definitely be trying one again as Costco is at a very convenient location for me.  

FYI - first post attempted with pictures... hopefully it works.  

Have a safe Memorial Day.

-Dan

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    How's the renowned?  A buddy sent me the recipe just this week. 

Everything looks great. 
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Great looking cook @EggDan.  Nice libation too.  How high up the fire ring was the coal to start?
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother everything looks great. Solid cook from take off to touchdown. Nicely done. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    @theyolksonyou I have done that recipe many times and it makes for a great bark. However I halve the pepper as I think it is too much.  I no longer do the mopping as I feel it adds unnecessary time to the cook by opening the lid.  Two coatings of the rub does make a difference!

@QingEsq I had about 2 or 3 inches below the plate setter. I could have definitely gone higher.  I failed to mention that I used Rockwood and that I had probably a fourth of the firebox with old lump. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great job... Looks great
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"