Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - O/U Sporting Clay Gun

Options
RedSkip
RedSkip Posts: 1,400
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum
Little off topic, curious if anyone has an opinion on a good gun to buy. I'm open to anything, but I like the idea of an O/U.  Mostly due to the look.

I've done some research and leaning towards Browning, however, open to other brands as well.  I've set a budget of $1700, but I'm not against going over it - just want it to be justifiable.

The catch is I shoot clays maybe twice a year, but I view the purchase as a long term investment. 

Appreciate any feedback.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Get fit for whatever you buy. 
  • Kyle919
    Kyle919 Posts: 28
    Options
    Browning Citori I've also had a Ruger Red label that was a very sweet shooter also
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I use and highly recommend the Blaser F3 Luxus. It's considerably higher than the price you mentioned above. However, it's a outstanding gun for the money. You would have to spend a small fortune to do any better. Depending on grade and options, you should be able to pick one up in the 7,000-9,000 dollar arena. Not bad for the quality of gun that you are getting. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    SGH said:
    I use and highly recommend the Blaser F3 Luxus. It's considerably higher than the price you mentioned above. However, it's a outstanding gun for the money. You would have to spend a small fortune to do any better. Depending on grade and options, you should be able to pick one up in the 7,000-9,000 dollar arena. Not bad for the quality of gun that you are getting. 
    That is a lot of money for a gun. Benelli is about as pricey as I want to get. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    If you're looking for an investment quality shooter, go for a K-80. They are about 10x your stated budget though. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I'm a skeet shooter but shoot sporting clays a couple of times a year, I have a Winchester Model 101 (Winchester and Browning are both made by FNH) that I really like, but in that price range I'd look at the new Browning Crossover Target, it is a do-all gun. Joel Etchen Guns had a special on them not too long ago. Great gun for the money. SGH brings up a good point but if you want to step up to A level guns you have to be willing to pay A level prices, I'm saving up for a Kolar Skeet Max, at my current level of saving sometime in year 2145 I should have enough saved up.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    That is a lot of money for a gun. 
    It is, but at the same time it isn't. If taken care of, the gun will only increase in value with time. I agree, everyone can't drop that much on a gun. But there are certainly some out there who can. If he can, the Blaser is about as top end as you can get without getting into some real money. With that said, the Berettas and Brownings are great guns for the price. I have a few older Brownings that I would not part with for sentimental reasons, short of a small fortune. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• danmac
    danmac Posts: 30
    Options
    Might be a little tight at $1700 for a O/U unless you go used.  I have both the Browning Maxus Semi Auto and the Browning 725 O/U that I use for sporting clays.  Love them both, also have the Beretta A400 sporting and do well with it.
    Lots of choices out there but maybe not at the price point for O/U, semi yes.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Appreciate the info. I can go to a higher price point, and I'm noticing I almost have to for the prices of O/U's.

I'm not sure I can buy the Blaser without buying a few diamonds for the Mrs.

Hard part is spending the money for a few times a year vs. a college fund for little one.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA