Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I HATE EGGING in the RAIN!! But...

Options
Actually, I swore off a couple of years ago and, while rainy day meals have sometimes been sub par (kitchen cooks), I have stayed dry. OTOH, this ain't the PNW, or the southeast,  so it's not all that bad. Today, I had a whole chicken that needed to be cooked (or frozen)  and since I had already rubbed it down with jerk seasoning and had already tried jerk in the oven (a failed  experiment... ugh!), I was forced to put on the hat and the Goretex jacket and suck it up.

First time using the Large since before Christmas! Only the Mini since then. Semi-clean burned the mildew out of the large yesterday because I didn't think this bird would fit in the Mini. Turns out it would have, but wall to wall so I don't think it would have done well. Large takes a LOT of lump!!! :lol:

Note, yesterday's burn gave me a lovely dose of the brown crud all over the outside of the dome. Today's rain completely got rid of it! Barely a trace left! No Simple Green or scrubbing required! Cool!

Anyway, the Large was cleaned out, refilled and lit. Put my $6 chimney cap on top, got the white oak smokin' away and the bird hangin' out at about 400° raised direct. Tasted WAY better than the pics look!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice chicken! And I'm really surprised you egged in the rain, way to brave the elements!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    Rain or shine good job
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nice cook, and you didn't melt. 

Rain's just a fact of life down here in the spring and fall. Today it only rained a little for the first time in 6 days, so it's either cook inside or in the rain...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2015
    Options
    DMW said:
    Nice chicken! And I'm really surprised you egged in the rain, way to brave the elements!
    LOL, yeah, I was surprised too. If you had had some my experimental oven roasted jerk a week or two ago, you'd know why I HAD to do it!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Nice cook, and you didn't melt. 

Rain's just a fact of life down here in the spring and fall. Today it only rained a little for the first time in 6 days, so it's either cook inside or in the rain...
    For a couple of years after I got my Large, I cooked in all kinds of weather. Rain, snow, wind, cold, heat, whatever. The other conditions are fine, but I finally realized that I would rather eat less tasty food than cook in the rain! This was a rare exception. It was good, but it wasn't THAT good!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    With all these changes I've seen in you the past few months it's just a matter of time before we see you bust out that Maverick for a picture or two! =);)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    Looks great. If it's raining or wet outside the wife will limit my trips inside to not track crud all over the house. 

Way as to suck it up and just go for it!
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    With all these changes I've seen in you the past few months it's just a matter of time before we see you bust out that Maverick for a picture or two! =);)
    Once every couple of years. For no apparent reason. LOL

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks great Michael!  It does pretty much blow egging in the elements. Won't stop me but, it definitely isn't as appealing. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Not a fan of Eggin' in the rain either. Luckily we don't get much in Wyoming. Eggin in the snow is much better than the rain. I miss the year round greenness of the PNW, but not the rain. 

What did you use to hang the chicken? 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I am from Connecticut as well. Today's rain was rediculous. I boiled some pasta...
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Looks great Michael!  It does pretty much blow egging in the elements. Won't stop me but, it definitely isn't as appealing. 
    Thanks. But its not "the elements" for me. It's RAIN! I've seen your rain gif. No thanks. :lol: 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     I am from Connecticut as well. Today's rain was rediculous. I boiled some pasta...
    Good idea. I would have, but I didn't want to freeze the bird. Poor planning on my part.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I use an old patio umbrella when it rains, it doesn't keep me dry, but I think I don't look near as crazy to my neighbors. I don't think it is working as well as I would like, they just shake their heads and look at me.......
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I use an old patio umbrella when it rains, it doesn't keep me dry, but I think I don't look near as crazy to my neighbors. I don't think it is working as well as I would like, they just shake their heads and look at me.......
    You do know that they're right, don't you? LOL. My neighbors can't see me when I'm out at the grill, so it doesn't matter. As if I would care anyway. ;)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Right on Carolina Q, after a bottle of Bordeaux, my neighbors can shake their heads at a crazy egghead in the rain, under an old umbrella cooking while hammered! Maniacal LOL!!!!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    edited April 2015
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Right on Carolina Q, after a bottle of Bordeaux, my neighbors can shake their heads at a crazy egghead in the rain, under an old umbrella cooking while hammered! Maniacal LOL!!!!
    I'm sure they shake their heads about plenty of my habits, but if they can't see me egging in the snow, they probably just wonder why they smell BBQ in January! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Ain't it great!
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Your jerk looks good......
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    Weather should never mess up your grilling plans.  Cap your grill, get a good golf umbrella and charge forward!
    Best - Jack
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Weather should never mess up your grilling plans.  Cap your grill, get a good golf umbrella and charge forward!
    Enjoy it, my friend. I did that for the first year or so. The food was fine. The egg was fine. The cook was wet - and miserable. Now, I almost never cook in the rain.
    Your jerk looks good......
    Thanks!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i need to make some of that jerk chicken, dont think ive even ever tried it. next rainy day =) not many egg cooks here lately, wind has been dampering it for a month or so
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I wish I could  cook in the rain. We haven't had any here in SoCal for so long I forgot what it looks like.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser