Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For the Canucks bogo charcoal

Options
Miked125
Miked125 Posts: 481
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum
From Lowes Sugar Maple charcoal will be buy one get one from Apr16-22. I love the taste and smell but wish the chunks were bigger. Needless to say I will buy 10-12 bags 

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Costco has the green bag for about the same price

Options
    paqman said:
    Costco has the green bag for about the same price
    Not where I live.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up @Miked125

Lowes is doing this BOGO thing earlier each year ... 2 and 3 years ago the blue bag RO was 50% off on Canada Day week, last year it was Victoria Day week... In those years RO was reg 14.99, so half off knocked it down to 7.50, not bad.

However, this year CT and Lowes both raised RO to $17.99, same price as Basques red 8kg bag.  I'm glad next week's BOGO at Lowes is on Basques red bag and not RO.

@paqman in Toronto area Costco sells the Basques green bag at $12.99.  Last year it was 12.69 but they promoted it at 9.99 for a week, they may repeat that offer this year but not sure when.

I've never used Basques red, going to try a bag (pick from a fresh pile), if size is not bad I'll probably stock up 10-15 bags (still have about thirty assorted bags).  Provided lump size is acceptable, Basques red at $9 is a no brainer for me.

*** WRONG interpretation ***
    Edit: just realised it's not BOGO free, it's buy 1 at reg price and get 2nd at half off.  @pagman is right, Costco's green bag is still a better deal, even better if/when they go on sale for a week.
    canuckland
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I am almost out actually. Should be back in town by then to grab some. 
    @Nanook
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Thx  for that info need some more lump
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Does anyone have a review on the sugar maple? I didn't see it in the Nakedwhiz, I have not used it before. 
  • Canugghead
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @AlbertaEgger Basques green bag and red bag are both sugar maple.  The green bag is nice but pieces are smaller than Maple Leaf.  I have not tried the red.
    Please note it's not BOGO free, it's buy 1 at reg price and get 2nd at half off, no deal for me.

@Nanook likes it...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1686617#Comment_1686617
    canuckland
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Sucks for me.
    No Lowes, and the 3 Costco here don't sell lump. I have asked multiple times for them to bring it in.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    I have never seen lump at Costco around here either. I have looked on line, but no luck. That's to bad because it is usually free delivery for online orders. 
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    No lump at our local Costco, ever, that I know of. I had fun with the pellet cooker guy, though!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I've used the white bag in a pinch. Only other local option is BGE, and that's ridiculously expensive. I find the sugar maple only "ok".  It sparks A LOT, and I find it very dusty with too many small pieces. I've also found the maple to produce a lot more ash than the Oak. 
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @rifrench Pellet cooker at Costco?  Which location? 

edited April 2015
    Options
    @paqman  my local Costco (probably others in GTA too) sells the Traeger Century, I think it's $934.99, looks similar to this.

canuckland
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @AlbertaEgger  nice haul! let me guess, the cash register rang up each bag at 25% off, regardless of how many bags you buy?  (their cash register software is probably not sophisticated enough to truly enforce the BOGO (2nd free or at half off) claim.
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Canugghead I think RO has gone up to reflect the falling value of the Loonie, Basque was always a $3-$4 premium over RO at Lowe’s, very nice to see it the same price. A couple of weeks ago, I talked to Lowe’s about buying a pallet of Basques. They would not discount anything, not even 5% - unless I was a contractor. This week, with Basque’s help they have a 25% discount. Go figure. 
    Given the lack of customers, I wonder if our one and only Lowe’s is not going to pull a Target. 
    @Miked125 - thanks for the heads up. 
    @smokesniffer @Jwinn44 - You guys see this? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Skiddymarker  now that it's 25% (5x 5%) off, you should buy 5 pallets  =)
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Skiddymarker  now that it's 25% (5x 5%) off, you should buy 5 pallets  =)
    Called them and after  a couple of weeks ago's effort trying to buy a pallet talked to my new found friendly store manager, he is claiming to have limited stock, which is likely true, they only have 2 pallets (18 to the pallet in stock) and he will not sell a pallet to one customer. I will give him credit, this promo is used as a loss leader to get folks into his store and he does not want to tell other customers he does not have stock because one greedy SOB (me) bought it all. He has no interest in bringing in a pallet or two for one customer - that may be due to a cost arrangement with Basques. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @Skiddymarker Yup thanks for the heads up. I still have enough RO for now.
    Hope that Lowes has the half price sale this year.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @smokesniffer - not sure they will, there is always hope. I think with the Loonie being worth <80 cents US you might not see a RO sale, Basques is better, IMO, but at $14 a bag vs last year’s RO sale of $8 - still not the best buy. Great weather to be cooking....