Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Chicken

Options
I am addicted to this stuff!! I have no idea what the real Jamaican stuff is supposed to taste like and all I have is Grace or Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning, but that's fine with me. If the real thing is much better than this, it's probably illegal! Slathered some thighs with a couple of teaspoons of Grace hot seasoning, added a bit of evoo and smushed it around in a zip bag. Into the fridge for a couple of hours and then onto the mini at 400°. Made some black beans and rice to go with it. The chicken was the star though!!

BTW, I haven't used my large since before Christmas! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I love jerk. I've been to Jamaica, stayed on resort so I can't vouch for authenticity, but WW is as good as anything I had there. I have a bottle open in the fridge. You've inspired me to break it out this week. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Well ****. Just bought some. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Looks awesome... Where can you find Walkerwood?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I worked with a Jamaican that was raised in Jamaica, he's the one that first introduced me to jerk chicken when he invited me to his wedding reception.  i swear, I think my wife and I were the only non-family members present.  Anyway, his personal recipe starts with Walkerswood, so if it is good enough for him, it's good enough for me.  I feel it is pretty authentic, but I expect some may like to increase the amount of scotch bonnets in it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Will look for WW tommorrow. Thanks for the post.
    McKinney, TX
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nice I have some store bought that has been great. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.
    Seattle, WA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The first jar I bought was the WW Mild (all they had). Kinda bland so for my second attempt, I added a minced habanero. MUCH better! Then I discovered a store that sells the Grace brand, hot version. I like it as well as the WW with added pepper. It also happens to be easier to find... I since found that Walmart carries it.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Well Looks Like its WW which you already know about. I like it pretty good stuff.
    Seattle, WA
  • Zmokin
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I mail order my WW from MoHotta*MoBetta

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Where I have found Jerk seasoning...

WW Mild, Wegman's in Virginia
    WW Hot, Big Y in Connecticut
    Grace Hot, Giant Food in VA... also, Walmart

Haven't tried WW hot yet.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Looks great Q and love seeing you rock the mini. She's my workhorse too
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    I have a nice little store that sells intl goods. $4.90 a bottle. I am too lazy to prep and marinate overnight, ill cook the wings and 20 min estimate before done temp I toss em in the sauce. Works just fine.
    Seattle, WA
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    Looks great!  
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have used Walkerswood for over 30 years but also like Spur Tree.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I like the Spur Tree Scotchbonnet Sauce from pimenowood.com. I've not found scotch bonnets in Atlanta so go w. habanoero instead. I'll "float" the habaneros whole for flavor and add a few dashs of the Scotchbonnet for the delayed heat. 

Remember, if you're not using pimento wood for smoke, it's not true Jerk (so they say)! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Looks great, haven't had jerk in a long time, I need to find some of this or make some scratch from @THEBuckeye recipe.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    @Legume
    Just finished a batch. Made chicken and  wings one night  and a pork tenderloin on Saturday night.  Had some wings and sweet mash for leftover lunch and SWHMBO finished off the tenderloin! Love Jerk! 

Back to a boring dizzy spatchcock tonight. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @Legume
    Just finished a batch. Made chicken and  wings one night  and a pork tenderloin on Saturday night.  Had some wings and sweet mash for leftover lunch and SWHMBO finished off the tenderloin! Love Jerk! 

Have you tried fish?  Is that a thing with jerk or a bastardization?
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    Have not. I'd do that for SWMBO but not me. I'm sure it would work with grouper or mahi perhaps. I'd guess it's not jerk and the pimento and fish would not marry well. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Here are the products I have found so far. The WW "Jonkanoo" Pepper Sauce is spicy, but not overboard. Found it at Wegman's only (so far). Have yet to try the Grace Scotch Bonnet sauce. I forget where I found it. 

Haven't tried the WW hot seasoning yet either. When my jar of Grace is gone...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here in FL, we are lucky to have all the Jerk products in our local grocery stores like Publix & Wal*Mart. Walkerswood makes great stuff, but I really like the flavor of Spur Tree .. lot more thyme in it. I also splurged for the pimento wood chunks ...
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I like Walkers Wood, but I have really loved several recipes from Helen Willinsky's book, Jerk -- Barbecue From Jamaica.  I've used this marinade for jerk chicken and love it.  She recommends marinating the chicken at least 4 hours. She also wants you to turn every 10 minutes, basting, but I think that's for an open fire, not in the Big Green Egg.  I think I basted about every 20 minutes.

Jerk Marinade

Ingredients:
    1 onion finely chopped 
    1/2 cup scallions finely chopped 
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme 
    1 teaspoon salt 
    2 teaspoons sugar 
    1 teaspoon allspice, ground "Jamaican pimento" (allspice) 
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
    1 (or more) Scotch Bonnet or habanero chili finely ground 
    1 teaspoon black pepper 
    3 tablespoons soy sauce 
    1 tablespoon oil 
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar 

Her Directions:
    Mix together all the ingredients. A food processor fitted with a steel blade is ideal for chopping and combining. This will provide an excellent marinade for chicken beef or pork. Store leftover marinade in the refrigerator in a tightly closed jar for about 1 month.

Her Notes: Some people find marinades more convenient to use than spice pastes. This marinade is more liquid than a paste, but not as liquid as most marinades. The flavor of the marinade may strike you as a little harsh when you first mix it, but I assure you, the flavors will all blend and mellow as the meat cooks. To increase the heat of this rather mild marinade, add hot pepper sauce.  If you want less heat, remove the seeds and membranes containing the seeds from the peppers before grinding them.

Theo
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    I raised  indirect low and slow the Jerk chicken. 2 1/2 to 3 hours at 225. Same with wings but not quite as long. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Zmokin
    Options

Remember, if you're not using pimento wood for smoke, it's not true Jerk (so they say)! 
    OK, I just ordered some pimento wood.  It will be interesting to see if i can taste the difference.  It sure was the most expensive smoke wood I have purchased.

• Zmokin
    Options
    So, for those that have used the WW mild, how mild is it?
    Is it like "no heat", or "just a little heat"?

I like it hot, but my son not so much.  He's learning to like some heat, but he can quickly become over-powered, and when that happens, he won't eat another bite.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Zmokin said:

OK, I just ordered some pimento wood.  It will be interesting to see if i can taste the difference.  It sure was the most expensive smoke wood I have purchased.
    Yeah, that why I'm glad I like what I've had so far. I don't even want to know if I can taste the difference. Too bad Home Depot isn't unloading pimento for $5!! LOL

I did try a foil packet of allspice berries a couple of times, but noticed no difference. Probably didn't use enough, but I won't waste any more. The white oak chunks are fine.

I know it's not "true jerk", but then, I'm not "true Jamaican". Mon. :lol: 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    @carolinaQ Ya - I'll have to try a batch with no pimento and see the difference. I know it impacts the color.

I like the pimento sticks and foil pack as it adds the Jerk eggsperience and process. May I suggest just ordering some chips from pimentowood.com. You need well less of a handful to impart flavor. Try it for just a wings Jerk cook sometime. 

There are days where I'd like to be a true Jamaican, Mon! 

New Albany, Ohio 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    @Legume

@THEBuckeye joining this thread late but just to be clear I was wondering if you used the jerk seasoning on your pork tenderloin, as well?  Thanks.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• mahenryak
    Options
    P.S. / FWIW I recently ordered some WalkersWood Jamaican Jerk seasoning through Amazon and unfortunately it showed up with the seals popped and slight leakage in both bottles.  I chose to throw it out and contacted Amazon for a refund.  I think it was a cabin pressure issue on the airplane.  (90% of things shipped my way end up on a commercial jet)  I've since ordered some Busha Browne's hoping that maybe I'll luck out with the bottles.  We'll see.

• mahenryak
    Options
    Zmokin said:

@Zmokin I hope you report back whether you notice a significant difference.  I have been tempted to order some, too, but as you've said it isn't cheap.