Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this normal - smoke leaking out of the back of my Egg?

Options
I haven't noticed this in previous cooks but I am seeing smoke coming out of the back of my Egg when it is closed.  Is this a sign that I need a new gasket?  I bought this LBGE used from a couple that said they have only used the Egg 8-10 times and it was probably about 6 years old.  They kept it in the garage so was at least out of the elements.  

The Man checked all the screws and such to make sure we aren't loose there.  It was too dark last night after my cook to look at the rear gasket but it does seem like everything is lined up properly.  It isn't a lot of smoke but it is noticeable.  

m
Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Gasket is probably loose at the back, or fried.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    A small leak can be caused by many things. A flat or wore spot in the gasket, a crooked or misaligned dome from heating and cooling and the bands expanding and contracting. This can usually be corrected by merely loosing the band that holds the dome and mashing down a little and retightening. If this is not the case, it could be time for a new gasket. Without seeing it, it's hard to say. But I would certainly try adjusting it first. I have had to do it to mine several times. It doesn't take but a few minutes and it's real easy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    all my eggs leak smoke =) if it bothers you, you can try resetting the dome or replacing the gasket, but if its still cooking well and shuts down when closing it up, i would just leave it be. fwiw, my gaskets burned off almost a decade ago and i run them without gaskets now and dont see much difference except now it really smokes =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it