Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Brisket just OK

Options
I asked the wife yesterday morning what sounded good for dinner.  She said brisket sounded good.  Got home with a 8 lb packer around 10:30.  I whipped up a rub and applied it liberally on both sides.  I decided I wanted to try it at 350.  The turbo ribs I did at 350 last week were fantastic so I figured that sounded good.  I used PS legs up with drip pan and a huge chunk of mequite.

So 350 was too hot.  Since I was in a hurry to get it on so we'd have dinner at a reasonable time I didn't look into previous posts on here for time and temp.  I just wanted to get it on!  It didn't develop a bark and I'm pretty sure that's because it was too hot.  Every turbo brisket picure I've seen with good bark was 300 grate.  And it looked like most of those went with no foil.  I foiled when I hit around 155.  That was just 2 hours in.  Pulled it at about 195.  Took it out of the foil and put it back on and closed all the vents down hoping to develop some crust.  No luck.  

After 30 more minutes I FTC the brisket for about 2-3 hours before we ate.  Because the bark didn't develop it was hard for me to see the grain in the meat.  I'm pretty sure half was sliced correct and the other half not so much.  Part that was sliced right was tender and juicy and had good flavor.  Part that I'm sure wasn't sliced right was a bit more tough obviously.  Still tasty though.

Note to self next time:  go 300 grate and no foil.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Sorry the experiment didn't go better. Brisket is the one meat I haven't tried doing "turbo" but I did my corned beef/pastrami that way and it turned out alright. I'm not a big fan of foiling at any point because you do lose your bark. 

I am looking into investing in a roll of butcher paper that many here recommend. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I've been reading about butcher paper as well.  What are the advantages and disadvantages of that?
    Strongsville, Ohio

[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Brisket is one meat I do not turbo, for many reasons. Low and slow for the precious brisket in my egg. :peace: 
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    That looks like just a flat.
    NOLA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    @fiver29 I'm not sure exactly what the physics of what the butcher paper does but the people who use it seem to have more consistent brisket then those who don't.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Brisket is something I'm not willing to experiment with. I stick to what works. Nice try on thinking outside the box on this cook. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I know there have been others that have went hot and fast and have had decent results. But, IMHO L&S on brisket in the egg is proven and true solid results. Nice try nonetheless. :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    What was in your rub?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Rub was adapted from Dr. BBQ's Slow Fire.  I used:

1/4 cup Turbinado Sugar
    1/4 cup Kosher Salt
    1 1/2 tb Chili Powder
    1 1/2 tb Paprika
    1/2 ts Garlic Powder
    1/2 ts Onion Powder
    1/4 ts Black Pepper
    1/4 ts Dizzy Pig Raging River
    1/4 ts Ground Coffee
    Strongsville, Ohio