Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

iGrill 2 or Maverick ET-735

Options
My maverick 732 died and I was looking to get a new thermometer with Bluetooth that can be used with my iPhone.  The majority of cooks will be overnight low and slows and an occasional turkey.  Any recommendations or thought on which way I should go.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ThrillSeeker
    Options

I haven't had good luck w/ Maverick products, however that was when I first got into "remote cooking" and it was probably user error.

The first igrill was pretty good...easy to use and easy to sync.......the only downside is that it can't withstand being run over by a Chevy Pickup truck.  Long story.

I'm waiting for the igrill 2 to get back in stock on their website.  I will post later with a review.

I plan on using mine in conjunction w/ the Auber ins temp controller and start doing more overnight cooks.

Smart (and lazy) man's cooking at it's finest! 

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, iGrill is also currently out of stock Amazon too.  Thinking about going that route, if I read it right you would have to also purchase the additional ambient probe to monitor dome temp.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

the only downside is that it can't withstand being run over by a Chevy Pickup truck.  

Sadly this is true of all of them. I have complained to the manufacture about this issue to no avail. What do you expect though from $hit made in China. I miss my Made in America products. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blukat
    Options
    I ended up going with the Maverick ET-735.  Put 3 butts in last night at midnight, will be finished soon.  The maverick worked great overnight, never lost connection and works throughout the house.  I used some of my old probes as I had 1 large butt and 2 smaller ones.  Having the ability to use 4 probes are great.  So far so good!
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    blukat, keep me posted on this, I am thinking about the iGrill2 because I have had issues with the Maverick products. the customer service at Maverick is great and took care of all problems it is just I would like a better product. That being said, who is to say the iGrill is not made by the same bunch,same factory,loaded on the same rickshaw, you get the message.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • vesteroid
    Options
    I like the thermoworks Bluetooth probe setup.  It's bulletproof and I have connection all over my house.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    blukat said:
    Thanks for the comments, iGrill is also currently out of stock Amazon too.  Thinking about going that route, if I read it right you would have to also purchase the additional ambient probe to monitor dome temp.
    No. You can use one the two probes that come with the iGrill2 as the dome probe.  The probes fit nicely in the dome hole of the egg.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• blukat
    Options
    Worked great, highly recommend it.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    blukat said:
    Worked great, highly recommend it.
    Thanks blukat
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • sschilf
    sschilf Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi all, I have a brand-new still sealed in the box Igrill2 for sale. $80 shipped anywhere USA. Send me a message interested. Thanks
  • mtp
    mtp Posts: 26
    Options
    My maverick seems to be a bit less than accurate
    LBGE, Plate setter, Pizza stone, Bisson flame thrower, Replaced by a Milwaukee heat gun,  Maverick ET-732, Bluetherm, and a bunch of beer

Cumming, Ga
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    blukat said:
    I ended up going with the Maverick ET-735.  Put 3 butts in last night at midnight, will be finished soon.  The maverick worked great overnight, never lost connection and works throughout the house.  I used some of my old probes as I had 1 large butt and 2 smaller ones.  Having the ability to use 4 probes are great.  So far so good!
    My Egg dealer sells the 735 and did a test on it and said would go at least 130' even inside a building.  The thing I like is that it will handle 4 probes. It may be my next toy to get.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @sschilf... Why are you selling it, seems popular and reportedly works well? I've already put in notice that when my Maverick fails, and we all know that it will someday, I want the iGrill 2 as the replacement.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• sschilf
    Options
    It was a gift that I do not need.   I bought a large big green egg a couple years ago and since then I have been given gifts that I don't need.  Ha   If you are interested, send me your email and I can send you a PayPal request. Thanks 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Is the iGrill 2 waterproof?  My current bone seems to handle rain ok.  Just wondering if I got one I would have to protect it some how.  Amazon says they in stock.
    http://www.amazon.com/iDevices-IGR0009-iGrill2-Bluetooth-Thermometer/dp/B00NC4KU42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431095545&sr=8-1&keywords=igrill2+probe
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Not waterproof.  I use the green ceramic cap from the egg to protect the iGrill2 from rain and sun.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• sschilf
    Options
    I usually put it in a sandwich size zip lock bag - that way the Bluetooth signals are not diminished ..
  • blukat
    Options
    still liking the maverick, used it a few times and had no problems.