Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different Cook Results

Options
GASGUY
GASGUY Posts: 111
Have my egg for several years now, big fan. Until recently the majority of my cooks went really well. Have not changed how I prep, rubs I use, or temps I cook food to. I checked my thermometers, all good. I clean out ash frequently. I always let black smoke burn off before putting food on to cook. Nothing I can think of has changed, but results have. Disappointing when you spend $$$ on a brisket or several racks of ribs and this happens. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    more information needed.
  • GASGUY
    Options

Such as...............

• pgprescott
    Options
    how are they different? What are your bad results? Examples? ETC.. ETC ...ETC... ETC!
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Is the taste different? Is the performance of the egg different? Is the texture of the food different? Did you change charcoal (what charcoal do you use)? Did you change where you buy your meats? Before your food tasted like......, now it tastes like......?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    This is like going to Dr and telling him you don't feel good and asking for a prescription.  For what?? Not to be rude, but need more info. What is wrong with cooks? Taste smokey? Undercooked? Overcooked?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GASGUY
    Options
    OK....... I do BB ribs often, use the same rub, same prep. One batch was a home run, next two batch were sub-par. By sub-par I mean the taste. Brisket, trimmed fat, use S & P to coat brisket, cleaned grill, fill to fire ring and got locked in at 250 and burnt off bad smoke. Cooked to about 200 and it was probing easily, foiled wrapped and let sit in cooler for 1-2 hours. Again, pretty much like I have done before. Looked great, but had so-so taste. No one said much, but you can usually tell by what's leftover. Thought it was the RO, but like I said, I burn off the bad smoke before cooking, in fact I burned Egg for 1.5 hrs prior to putting brisket on to smoke. It looked great, just had a crappy greasy taste to it.
  • grege345
    Options
    2 things. 1. Have you ever done a clean burn to get rid of the residue that collects in the egg? 2.  Ditch the RO. It really is more trouble than its worth. 

• GASGUY
    Options
    Like I said, been using the egg for a few years, of course every once in a while things didn't come out well, but for the most part 9 out of ten cooks went well.
  • GASGUY
    Options
    I did a clean burn and now need to replace gasket, but assume that should only effect shut down time not having a closed seal. I am really leaning towards the RO, but was not looking to start that rant again. Was just wondering if others experience this type of slump and any tips to get past this.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Love my RO...Personally I think 200 @ Dome is way low- if your having black smoke ever I would do a clean burn--I let mine settle in around 275 dome which put the grate @ a good temp- 200 on the dome I think you'll get some nasties 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Love my RO...Personally I think 200 @ Dome is way low- if your having black smoke ever I would do a clean burn--I let mine settle in around 275 dome which put the grate @ a good temp- 200 on the dome I think you'll get some nasties 
    I think he was talking about IT of the brisket.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Check where the meat is coming from. With the shortage of beef and pork you might be getting Canadian meat. Just a thought.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Are you drinking the same amount while you prep and cook or have you cut back?  Cutting back can be detrimental, allows you to overthink.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    meat, seasoning and fire. Hard to believe the results could be this dramatically different. Its either the meat or the seasoning. If its the fire you should easily be able to see or smell it. i don't think I've seen this type of problem with an eggsperienced cook.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i have to be really careful with ribs, sometimes they sneak solution added ribs into supermarket packages labeled as fresh, its legal to do but extremely shady. different results with brisket is just the name of the game =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • grege345
    Options
    Are your differences from cook to cook or are you saying they use to be good in the past and now they are just not good anymore? 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I think he was talking about IT of the brisket.
    My bad
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GASGUY
    Options

Guessing a slump is sometimes just that! Although confident I'm doing everything the same way that served me well in the past.

Thanks for feedback.

• pgprescott
    Options
    Check where the meat is coming from. With the shortage of beef and pork you might be getting Canadian meat. Just a thought.
    Those damn Canadians strike again! Is the meat as bad as their beer?
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    That is a puzzle. Beef characteristics should be the same from previous cooks unless you are buying a different grade.  Your fuel shouldn't make that much of a difference if your temp was consistent and the bad smoke had burned off.  Fuel certainly wouldn't have made it greasier tasting. Try Tin Cup's cure for the shanks...Put all your change in your right pocket, tie your left shoelace in a double knot, then, turn your hat around backwards and put a blue tee behind your right ear... 
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Try something different. Change lump, rubs, timing, purchase location etc. Maybe your taste buds need a fresh kick to get you over the yips