Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Insulating Fire Bricks

Options
Has anyone ever used these between their egg and a table? If I understand their properties correctly, they allow virtually none of the heat to be transmitted. If that's the case, you wouldn't need the old green feet or a table nest. Or a patio block. Just a few of these. 

http://www.traditionaloven.com/articles/81/insulating-fire-bricks

Anyone? Anyone?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Never used them. You might want to call a pottery supply store to ask them if they think these would work underneath an egg. Since it sounds like they aren't very hard or dense I' m curious how well they would hold up under the weight of an Egg. Though there is mention in the article about using them underneath a slab in an oven. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Never used them. You might want to call a pottery supply store to ask them if they think these would work underneath an egg. Since it sounds like they aren't very hard or dense I' m curious how well they would hold up under the weight of an Egg. Though there is mention in the article about using them underneath a slab in an oven. 

You might want to try a fireplace store for info on the insulating firebirks they may know more.

Do you have an issue with the table nest, its simple and effective. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Tinyfish said:

Do you have an issue with the table nest, its simple and effective. 
    LOL, I don't even have a table! Just read about these bricks in articles about WFOs and it seemed like a great inexpensive solution to setting a hot thing on a piece of wood. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    They work well for insulating value. I sometimes use them to build a "false convection wall" in the big units. They work extremly well for this purpose. However they are very, very fragile. They will not hold up to any abuse at all. Again for insulating or creating a convection wall they work great.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @Carolina Q ok got it. In that case the bottom and sides of the firebox in my WFO use the insulating firebricks. That being said I wouldn't know how it would work to protect a wood surface. Maybe you can try a few out and return them if they don't workout.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    They do have a low heat transfer rate, but it is not zero. Air has even less. The air gap from a table nest will provide much more protection. The owners manual for the kiln in my garage (made with lightweight insulating fire bricks) calls for placement of the kiln at least 18" from any wall.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    They work well for insulating value. I sometimes use them to build a "false convection wall" in the big units. They work extremly well for this purpose. However they are very, very fragile. They will not hold up to any abuse at all. Again for insulating or creating a convection wall they work great.
    Ok, I have lots to learn from you during Salado. Such as "what is a convection wall and when would you use it?"...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ok, I was planning to stick with my BGE nest and separate side table anyway. On a stone patio to boot. No fire worries. Just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone had an opinion. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    DMW said:
    Ok, I have lots to learn from you during Salado. 
    Brother D, because you are one of my favorites on the forum, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Most of the stuff I say on here, I make it up as I go ;)
    Just kidding brother, it will be a true honor to get to talk to you. Been wanting to meet you for quite sometime. I feel that you can offer a lot of useful tips and advice. Your cooks are always impressive to say the least.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I have my large sitting on the green feet, sitting on fire bricks, which sit on 1X4's that make up the bottom bench of my table. Fire bricks are not totally heat proof - but do the job keeping the heat low enough to not have to worry about a fire, IMO. I have felt the underside of the 1X4's after differing types of cooks. I do not feel anything after low and slow cooks, but have felt some warmth after extended very high heat pizza cooks. If you cranked your Egg up very hot and cooked for considerable time, you might need to keep an eye on things, but most cooks I believe you would be fine.

Keep in mind that I am using the green feet which keeps the Egg up off the fire bricks so there is not direct contact. As someone already mentioned, air is a great insulator. I would not trust it to sit in direct contact where much heat could be transferred. 

I will have had my large for three years later this month. I have noticed zero degradation of the fire bricks so far. Even if they do start to go bad, they are cheap to replace and easy to slip a new on under the Egg with some assistance.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    twlangan said:
    I have my large sitting on the green feet, sitting on fire bricks, which sit on 1X4's that make up the bottom bench of my table. Fire bricks are not totally heat proof - but do the job keeping the heat low enough to not have to worry about a fire, IMO. I have felt the underside of the 1X4's after differing types of cooks. I do not feel anything after low and slow cooks, but have felt some warmth after extended very high heat pizza cooks. If you cranked your Egg up very hot and cooked for considerable time, you might need to keep an eye on things, but most cooks I believe you would be fine.

Keep in mind that I am using the green feet which keeps the Egg up off the fire bricks so there is not direct contact. As someone already mentioned, air is a great insulator. I would not trust it to sit in direct contact where much heat could be transferred. 

I will have had my large for three years later this month. I have noticed zero degradation of the fire bricks so far. Even if they do start to go bad, they are cheap to replace and easy to slip a new on under the Egg with some assistance.
    I'm sure the fire bricks will be fine, forever. I would however check under the bricks to see if there is any discoloration of the wood. I would not be surprised if there were some discoloration. I hope not. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ripped some split firebricks with my buddy's Dewalt wet saw for the transporter table(small egg).  Between the ceramic feet creating an air gap and the properties of the firebrick, I feel good(safe) using the egg on my truck or picnic tables at the campground.  And the 3/4" Birch under the firebrick has held up great with no signs of damage.  

Also use them to create 2 zone, 3 zone, and rotisserie fires on the kettle.  Lay them on their side overlapping creating a z pattern, no need to cut.  They are so cheap I keep several bricks around for various setups.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."