Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Lump for the money? (ie best value)

Options

I know this has been discussed a lot - but I have just run out of FOGO and have been using RO for the past couple of cooks and while I can deal with the taste, I really liked FOGO.  However, on amazon it is $45 for a 35LB bag.  In order to get free shipping on rockwood I have to buy $100 bucks of it, correct?  actually - how do I get free shipping?

any others that I can just find locally (Cleveland, OH) that have a good clean taste here in ohio?  really just trying to find the cheapest with the most clean taste for lump.  Suggestions appreciated

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Made the mistake of just buying a bag of RO after using Fogo.  Blahhhh...

I ordered 5 bags of Rockwood from Firecraft.  Took two days to be delivered.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Any order over $99 at Firecraft gets free shipping, including the charcoal.  No taxes either for me! 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    +1 for rockwood. 
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    is that the best value?  is there another avenue?  I think I saw frontier at walmart?  is that worse than RO?  nothing compares to FOGO or rockwood?
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    You went from Fogo to RO? Seriously?  :o
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have never used FOGO, but from what I've read on here it is a good lump.  My guess is that you have spoiled yourself with a better than average lump.  There are many other options, but I would guess you won't be as happy unless you stick with FOGO.  IMHO just as good if not better lumps and better value are Wicked Good Weekend Warrior, Rockwood and Ozark Oak.  I'm more partial to OO over Rockwood.  You can order both from Firecraft and try for yourself.  You might be able to find WGWW locally or even Rockwood.  @stlcharcoal should be able to tell you if RW is available in your area.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    For me the best value is GFS which I believe to be RO which is 13.99 for a 20 pound bag and if you buy 5 or more they are 11.99 and if you sign up for there email alerts they send you a 10% off coupon every week which puts it around 10.20 for 20 pounds. Just my 2 cents
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Taking flavor and taste out of the equation, here are my 2 cents.  Ive just finished my first couple bags of rockwood after using only the "value" bags locally available like RO, Frontier, and Cowboy for the past 2 years.  Yes, RW costs a little more upfront than those brands per pound, but I am convinced that RW is a better value - taste aside.  The bad smoke is gone much quicker with RW than the afore mentioned brands.  Also, the chunks of lump are much larger with RW.  The real story was told when I cleaned out my ash for the first time.  With the "value" brands, I found small chunks and pieces of lump that had not burned.  With RW, mostly powder (real ash).  Value is in the eye of the beholder.  RO and Frontier seem much better up front only costing 50 cents per pound but when you burn a good bit of your lump waiting for good smoke and lots of lump is left as ash, you realize that there really isnt much difference in price per pound at the end of the day.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    blakeas said:
    is that the best value?  is there another avenue?  I think I saw frontier at walmart?  is that worse than RO?  nothing compares to FOGO or rockwood?
    Frontier has a more smokey flavor than RO.  Crap gave me heartburn/acid reflux.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I was just looking to purchase some fogo lump. I see its $45 a bag on Amazon. Is this the best price around? Is it worth is at that price?
    Snellville, GA

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I have only used BGE lump and Rockwood. I love Rockwood and plan on continuing to use it. Like others have said if you order from Firecraft.com you will get free shipping on everything over $99. 

Order 5 bags and you will qualify for free shipping.  My order is being delivered this morning. I can't wait for FedEx to get here! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I was just looking to purchase some fogo lump. I see its $45 a bag on Amazon. Is this the best price around? Is it worth is at that price?
    Watch the price.  It fluctuates a lot. Has been in the high 20s. It really depends on how badly you want it. I like FOGO, but I like RW as well or better. To me RW is more neutral, but FOGO is denser and seems to burn longer with a load. Very happy with both. 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Is it safe to say fogo would be good for S&L's and RW would be better for direct/fast cooks? 
    Snellville, GA

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Is it safe to say fogo would be good for S&L's and RW would be better for direct/fast cooks? 
    I've used both for both, but that would be one way to look at it. RW is very capable on L&S and visa versa. 
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I've heard humphrey out of PA is good.  I haven't tried humphrey nor FOGO personally, but, Rockwood is the best I've tried so far.  Followed by Frontier (Made in USA), RO, then Cowboy (if nothing else is available).

You can't go wrong with Rockwood, but, it never hurts to try ones you have access locally.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Just called the local Ace and they have RW. Will give it a try and keep a eye on the fogo prices. Thanks guys!
    Snellville, GA

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    blakeas said:

any others that I can just find locally (Cleveland, OH) that have a good clean taste here in ohio? 

@stlcharcoal should be able to tell you if RW is available in your area.

We do not have any dealers in that area, best bet is probably one of the online dealers.  For other brands, you might try a place called Cleveland Charcoal Supply.  I'm not sure who/where they source from, but they're at local for you if you don't want to mess with shipping.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    shucker said:
    Taking flavor and taste out of the equation, here are my 2 cents.  Ive just finished my first couple bags of rockwood after using only the "value" bags locally available like RO, Frontier, and Cowboy for the past 2 years.  Yes, RW costs a little more upfront than those brands per pound, but I am convinced that RW is a better value - taste aside.  The bad smoke is gone much quicker with RW than the afore mentioned brands.  Also, the chunks of lump are much larger with RW.  The real story was told when I cleaned out my ash for the first time.  With the "value" brands, I found small chunks and pieces of lump that had not burned.  With RW, mostly powder (real ash).  Value is in the eye of the beholder.  RO and Frontier seem much better up front only costing 50 cents per pound but when you burn a good bit of your lump waiting for good smoke and lots of lump is left as ash, you realize that there really isnt much difference in price per pound at the end of the day.  
    Around here, RO is about $13 for a 17.8 lb bag, GFS (made by RO?) is about $13 for a 20 lb bag, and Rockwood is about $25 for a 20 lb bag.  Even with having to burn off the bad smoke with the RO or GFS lump for 20-30 minutes, you still get more cooking for the money with them compared to Rockwood.  Flavor/taste is the reason to go to Rockwood (or any of the other more neutral flavored lumps). I am working my way through my first couple of bags of Rockwood. The wife is much happier with the cooks using the Rockwood, so that is what I plan to use from here on out. Sometimes you just have to pay for quality. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I felt your pain living near Cleveland.  Since when is the south the only place to grill year round?  Ever since I go through firecraft though lump has not been an issue.   5 bags of Rockwood and I'm good to go. I know a couple of guys that use the same lump so if they need it they just get a bag off me.   I have an extra bag currently if you want to give it a try.   
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Check out this website:

nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

The website will help you pick out the best lump available in your local area based on nakedwhiz testing and popular vote.  The input in this thread is good stuff, but we might miss giving input on a good lump that is stocked locally.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• jimithing
    Options
    Best I've found around me is Ozark Oak.  I understand it's not available everywhere though.  It can be ordered online I'm sure but I don't know if it would be worth the hassle.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,220
    Options
    I burned BGE lump for years. Bought at mothership for around $18.50 per bag. I switched to Rockwood. It's about $25 bag locally. The RW burns noticeably slower so I can say it is a better value in the long run. It'll be an even better value ordering from firecraft in bulk. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +1 RW
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    firecraft and order rw and oo to stock up and then your set for awhile. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I just bought my last bag of Rockwood from Ace Hardware TODAY :$26 plus tax.

Hello Firecraft with no shipping! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Unfortunately, Firecraft's shipping break at $99+ doesn't apply to those of us that live outside contiguous 48 (e.g. Alaska).  It ends up being about $175+ just for shipping for 5 bags.  I couldn't find it on Amazon, doesn't mean it's not there, but I couldn't find it.  I am settling for FOGO at the $45 per bag (but free prime shipping).  I've been accustomed to settling for RO but I'm hoping from what I've read I may be happier with FOGO.  It's probably around $11 more per bag than what I would pay for RO.  We shall see.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Yep. Firm believer in Rockwood and Ozark Oak.  Just ordered more of both from Firecraft. I like both performance wise, however, I tend to lean more towards Ozark Oak for no other reason than the ease of the smaller bag.  One bag of Ozark Oak fills my XL perfectly.  And they are easier to store and move.  I keep both on hand though.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    Unfortunately, Firecraft's shipping break at $99+ doesn't apply to those of us that live outside contiguous 48 (e.g. Alaska).  It ends up being about $175+ just for shipping for 5 bags.  I couldn't find it on Amazon, doesn't mean it's not there, but I couldn't find it.  I am settling for FOGO at the $45 per bag (but free prime shipping).  I've been accustomed to settling for RO but I'm hoping from what I've read I may be happier with FOGO.  It's probably around $11 more per bag than what I would pay for RO.  We shall see.

Nothing on Amazon, eBay, etc.  Sorry.

YEMTrey said:
     I like both performance wise, however, I tend to lean more towards Ozark Oak for no other reason than the ease of the smaller bag.  

We have 10# bags too, but we do not have many that leave St. Louis.  Most people want the 20's for the cost savings.  The 10's sell in the smaller grocery stores and butcher shops around town.  Might be something to request from your favorite online seller.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    +1 for Rockwood. I get it at my local ACE Hardware for around $22 I think. They told me even if an ACE doesn't carry it normally they can order it from the ACE warehouse. Not sure if that's everywhere, but maybe worth a try.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    For the record, I called Firecraft and the person who picked up is going to look into a cheaper option for shipping up here.  I will update later
    mahenryak said:

Nothing on Amazon, eBay, etc.  Sorry.

Thank you.  I will look into the ACE hardware store as suggested by @ksmyrl.  Also, I called the Firecraft website and the person who answered the phone said he is going to talk to his shipping guy to see if there is a cheaper method than what goes through automatically on their website.  I'll post back if there is anything there.  (He did say it may mean a larger quantity order, though--say 10 bags.)  In any case, I've learned to appreciate companies that are willing to take the time to see if they can help you out.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore