Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Competition - please help!

Options
manofmac
manofmac Posts: 21
I've signed up for a friendly bbq pork shoulder cook off for next Sunday, Feb. 8th.  I've done a couple pork shoulders but still am a relatively new BGE owner so am looking for any and all tips that may make my shoulder stand out.  The competition is against 4 other friends, none of whom will be smoking on a BGE so I'm hoping for BGE specific tips that might distinguish my shoulder.

The scoring system will be based on the KCBS (2-9) and judged on three categories: Appearance, Taste and Tenderness.  

We are allowed to use homemade sauce, so I also welcome any sauce recipes.  I'm from NC so typically lean towards an eastern-NC vinegar based sauce, but I can be convinced to try something new.  

Thanks for any input and suggestions! 

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Sliced, chopped, pulled?
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    The last one I did I injected with Chris Lily's pork injection and rubbed with Bad Byrons Butt Rub.  By far the best one to date.  Close the lid and leave it alone until you start checking at 195.  The last one I did had no sauce either and we enjoyed it more than we thought that we would.  Can always let others add sauce to taste.  I also like the idea some others have posted about adding rub after it is pulled.  Not a lot of rub but enough to give some added flavor.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • manofmac
    Options
    Legume said:

Sliced, chopped, pulled?

I usually take the BGE meat claws and shred, but open to suggestions...
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    No suggestions, just wondering if the contest specified. Personally, I like it pulled with a strong bark then I toss with a little bit of my favorite sauce (whatever that is that week) cut with an equal amount of cider vinegar. If the sauce you use isn't real sweet to begin with, then cut with half vinegar half apple cider. Just enough to moisten the pork.
  • manofmac
    Options
    Is the consensus that injections make a difference?  My best ones I've foiled for couple hours while still on the grill and managed to maintain much of the juices inside the foil so it turned out pretty moist when time to dice up.  

How about cooking time?  I know most recommend slow and low, but have seen others claim that a 4-5 cook on medium temp turns out just as good.  Thoughts?  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

Time isn't at important as finishing temp.  I've really liked turbo butts (cooked at 350 - takes about 45 minutes per pound to reach temp of about 200 and meat that probes like "buttah") at least as much as low and slow butts but both are great. 

The most compliments I have ever gotten on a butt was when I used Dizzy Pig's Jamaican Firewalk for my rub.  It's a different taste is more "island" than "deep south" so it would be a risk in a contest, but you might consider it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've done Chris Lilly's injection several times and to me it takes it up a notch. I know this isn't your Carolina style but my favorite on pork butts is Meathead's Memphis Dust. I pull, lightly dust with a little Bad Byron's, and drizzle a little Carolina vinegar sauce on it and mix it in a little bit. 

Edit: I like low -n-slow at 250-275 with the sugary Memphis Dust so it doesn't develop a burnt taste. No foil wrap. These are just my preferences.

Good luck with the contest and keep us posted on the results. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The only thing I know about competitions is what I watch on TV (e.g. BBQ Pitmasters), but I notice they are selective on what they turn in (money muscle, tubes, etc).  Here is an article that discusses it. 

I have never done this intentionally- I just pull the entire butt.  If I was doing a comp though I think I would try to focus on these areas.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• manofmac
    Options
    Thanks all for the input so far.  A few more questions:

Fatcap - is it necessary to keep on?  If so, cook with cap on top or bottom?  Seems as though there are strong opinions either way on this topic.

Injections - should I inject the night before?  Does it matter how long the injection is in for?  How about rub...does it make any difference butting on the rub the night before?

Do any of you wrap the shoulder while still on the grill?  I've done it before, wrapping for the last couple hours, and it keeps a ton of juice inside the foil.  But I guess the bark is compromised.  Thoughts?

Thanks!  

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I keep fat on and put down. I figure if it sticks, I don't lose meat. Some cut off for more bark.

I don't inject so no help. I rub whenever convenient night before or right before and haven't noticed a difference.

I never foil during cook and like the bark. Always juicy as hell.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Only thing I can offer is that if injecting, inject thru a clear plastic wrap on the target meat.  Keeps the stray shots confined and a much easier clean-up.  Good luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Fat cap - I cut most of it off. Prefer more bark. Fat cap doesn't provide any significant positive benefits.

Rub - no need to rub early. Won't hurt though.

Foiling - I have never had a reason to foil during cooking. They come out fine without. Some people will foil to push through the stall to save time. I prefer to increase cooking temp instead.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited February 2015
    Options
    minniemoh said:

I've done Chris Lilly's injection several times and to me it takes it up a notch. I know this isn't your Carolina style but my favorite on pork butts is Meathead's Memphis Dust. I pull, lightly dust with a little Bad Byron's, and drizzle a little Carolina vinegar sauce on it and mix it in a little bit. 

Edit: I like low -n-slow at 250-275 with the sugary Memphis Dust so it doesn't develop a burnt taste. No foil wrap. These are just my preferences.

Good luck with the contest and keep us posted on the results. 
    I too am a big fan of Memphis Dust at amazingribs.com.  Recipe makes enough for several large butts.  I like to split the butts in half to get more bark.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • badinfluence
    Options
    If you want to call me I will give you my number. Just ask. KCBS rules and carolina Bbq are qu I te different. I can tell you what I do.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa