Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rocks In My Rockwood

Options
Been using Rockwood exclusively for the past 6 months or so.  While stirring the old lump before reloading new for last nights cook I ran across these in the firebox.  First time in several hundred pounds of lump that I've run into it from Rockwood.  Still my favorite though!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've found 2 about that size out of about 300# or so lump used. I'd say that's acceptable.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The only thing non-charcoal that has come with my Rockwood is the bag it comes in.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    i get these quite a bit in virtually all lump bags except El Diablo.  the only thing I can think of is that they heat up lava rocks and distribute them when making a batch to help ensure as much even heat distribution as possible- ie so you don't have some wood burned up and other wood just starting to catch fire.  i''ve seen this in western, cowboy and a few others I've gotten
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Yea - me too (up until now).  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Meh. Don't worry about it. The bags are usually overfilled a tad to make up for incidental rocks, etc. At least it wasn't plastic strapping or a cigarette pack (both of which have been found in RO, among other things).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

@GATraveller

Can I get those back????  That's the ROCK in Rockwood.  :-$

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    what the heII are they?  one looks like granite or maybe a geode and the other looks like flint.  I've just had junk rock in bags of lump when I have found some (not RW).  Maybe that's the difference, RW uses a better quality of rock?
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I only use Rockwood, and I also found two rocks in one bag. One was fist sized, and I have a big fist. The other was about half that size. 

I am not complaining at all. Out of all the bags those were the only two rocks so I am very satisfied. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Legume‌ :-B geologist? :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    I will gladly take rocks over the plastics and banding in other brands i have found...
    Beaufort, SC
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'm hoping to one day find a diamond or other gemstone since RW is a premium brand :-B
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Firecraft increased the price from $19.95 to $21.95  : (

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    NPHuskerFL said:
    @Legume‌ :-B geologist? :))
    funny - but no.  had a geode as a kid.  have granite countertops now and broke up some of the scrap - kind of looks like that, some of it has decent holidays in it.  been to England before and saw some really old houses that were a bunch of rocks mortared together that were kind of round, but had a flat/whitish side, I was told it was flint.

calling me a nerd, huh?
    :-w
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Legume said:

what the heII are they?  one looks like granite or maybe a geode and the other looks like flint.  I've just had junk rock in bags of lump when I have found some (not RW).  Maybe that's the difference, RW uses a better quality of rock?

Rockwood has better rocks, that's funny.
    =))
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Hungry Joe troll. There you happy? =))
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    That's 19 for him! 

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

FWIW, I run a wood stove for heat. I cut split and stack my firewood. I have found rocks and slag when cleaning out my ash.

Foreign objects just get in trees somehow. It happens.

• theyolksonyou
    Options

That's 19 for him! 

Just tryin to help a brother out!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options

FWIW, I run a wood stove for heat. I cut split and stack my firewood. I have found rocks and slag when cleaning out my ash.

Foreign objects just get in trees somehow. It happens.

I don't have a wood stove but I have a fireplace in which I burn wood from my own lot. I know from years of digging holes to plant things that under the surface of my soil there are plenty of rocks! Most times they as well as the ones I find exposed on the surface down the 70 foot deep ravine behind me are polished ones that the "ice age" left behind. With all the rocks and the trees on my lot then finding rocks in my fireplace after burning the trunks and roots don't surprise me one bit!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Weird things wind up in trees.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • CurtisMaximus
    Options

Pinch A Penny is closest BGE dealer and the manager was telling me I should only buy BGE brand lump because the quality control is the best and you'll never see any rocks. I didn't think too much of it but the guy was really selling the BGE brand lump, which I get he's looking for repeat business. About 3/4 through the bag I'm stirring the used lump before lighting and found a palm sized rock. Took the rock to the same store & manager and he gave me half off a 20lb bag, same size I previously bought.

L BGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks like a piece from the kiln.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    After reading the rave reviews, I bought a bag of RW. This is what came out of the bag on the first cook.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    @CurtisMaximus BGE is touted highly by dealers.. because it is expensive lol.

It is NOT anything special.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would save that because I heard RO is paying premiums for that kinda stuff.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    @DoubleEgger - you sure that isn't a meteor??

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Rocks in lump is expected. Imagine the cost of lump to sort pebbles out. Lol
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I know GATraveller! I was hoping there's a diamond inside of that cosmic boulder
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Put it in a glass box and charge folks to see a real "Moon Rock"

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA